Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth plan

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM
  • 10 Replies
If you don't mind could you share some of your birth plans :). I have mine from my sons birth but wanted to see if there is anything I'm leaving off or want to add
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:13 PM

This was mine:

Homebirth plan:

• Ideally, if all goes smoothly, I hope that the midwife who attends me in labour will remain in the background, taking observations to check on the baby's and my safety, but otherwise not getting involved in my labour, unless I request otherwise. I believe that I know how to give birth on my own, but appreciate the security of having a midwife there to help with the unexpected or emergency situations.

-During labor:

• I would like to minimize internal examinations / avoid internal examinations if possible / I am happy to have one internal examination to check presentation, but would like to avoid them otherwise, unless there is a particular reason why you think one is necessary.
  • If the baby appears to be poorly positioned or labour is not progressing well for some reason, I would appreciate it if you could suggest changes of position or movements which might help.
  • I would like to have Christian music playing during the labour

-The Birth:

• I want my children to be allowed around me as I deliver and don't want any adults hushing them or shewing them away
  • I intend to 'catch' my own baby (with the help of my Hubby), and would prefer the midwife not to touch at all unless there is a problem. I would like the midwife to observe and to be on hand in case of emergency, but otherwise I want to be left to give birth entirely under my own guidance.
  • Please do not announce the baby's sex as I would like my Hubby to be the one to check baby's sex and announce to our family

-Third Stage:

• I plan to have a fully natural (physiological) third stage, and to cut the cord only after the placenta is delivered. I want to allow the placenta to turn up in its own time. It is important that the cord is not clamped or cut until the placenta is delivered. Please do not administer any drugs unless you feel there is a real need. I would appreciate your advice to help me deliver the placenta naturally. **Please do not pull on the cord or use fundal pressure unless there is a specific indication to do so, as I have read that this is contra-indicated in drug-free third stages**.
  • If I give birth in the pool, I would like to stay in the water for the third stage.
  • Please allow my husband the opportunity to cut the cord.
  • We do wish to keep the placenta!
  • After the placenta is delivered and the cord is cut, I want Daddy to take the baby while I take a shower and get cleaned up. At that time Midwives may look over our little one!
Mommy_522
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

lovemytwo88
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:57 PM
I havent written mine out but some things on mine will be:
-No pitocin
-DH cuts cord
-DD & DS present for birth if they choose to be and see gender first
-baby goes directly to my chest after birth to nurse

Thats all i can think of right now.
devoted31
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I am just going to roll with the punches :) 

mamashealovekin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Mobile Photo

MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:02 PM

This was my birth plan.

Quote:

Admission  

Induction  

Be allowed to go 14 days past EDD.

Prefer not to be medically induced.

 Prefer not to have membranes broken.

Attendants

Continue to be cared for by midwife.

 Minimum required personnel present at all times.

 Request no students/residents.

 Please no guests except Father or Mother's mother.

 Mother's mother to make medical decisions for or on behalf of Mother if she is unable.

Labour

First Stage

Avoid negative references such as pain, hurt, ect.

Please do not offer any kind of pain medication. Due to severe allergies & history any medication administered must be discussed and approved at each occurrence.

Do not administer: misoprostol/cytotec, morphine, demerol, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, clindamycin, or penicillin containing/derived drugs.

 Minimal internal vaginal exams or by request.

 Intermittent baby monitoring.

 Ability to walk/move around.

 Ability to keep naturally hydrated & snack.

 Prefer wear my own clothing.

 Please keep door closed at all times.

 Please no bright lights.

 Would like to wear glasses as long as possible.

Second Stage

Prefer a natural unassisted vaginal birth - without drugs, episiotomy, vacuum, or forceps.

 Would like perineum compress.

 To push with the urge.

 Please ask Mother to see/touch head while crowning.

 Announce baby's gender asap.

Emergency C-Section

Remain conscious during the entire procedure.

 Directly see baby being delivered as it occurs.

 Double stitching of the uterus.

 If baby needs to be removed Father & Mother's mother to be present at all times with baby.

 If Father leaves Doula to remain with Mother.

 Immediate skin to skin with Father following delivery.

Post-Partum Care

Newborn Procedures

Immediate skin to skin following delivery.

 Cord clamping delayed until it stops pulsing.

 Father to cut the cord.

 Please do not immediately wipe/clean or wrap baby.

 Vitamin k injection & metabolic screening while breastfeeding.

 Other procedures after breastfeeding & done on Mother.

 Declining antibiotic eye ointment.

After Birth

To wait for a natural placenta expulsion.

 Would like perineum ice packs and/or padsicles.

 Doula to receive placenta for encapsulation.

Newborn Care

We plan to exclusively breastfeed. Due to severe allergies & history formula is not to be given.

 Please do not give bottles or pacifiers.

 Due to family history of allergies we will provide soap, lotion/balm, cleanser, diapers, wipes for baby.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I never wrote one out; however, I did have my midwife write certain requests in my file which would be seen when I would be admitted for labor.

LoveVenus
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM

I dont  have one.I just hope have a smooth delivery as I did all my children.Dh cuts cord and the baby is given to me soon after delivery. My doctor delivered all my kids so im comfortable with her 

SecondChance709
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I haven't really thought of it but 

Water birth

All natural

Delayed cord clamping

Immediate skin to skin and breast feeding

Dh cuts the cord

I'm birthing in a birthing center with my midwife so I really don't have to worry about any interventions or unnecessary procedures. It'll pretty much be a home birth just not at my home. 

megman1234
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Home birth in a bath tub
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)