Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Planned C section... What to expect?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:24 PM
  • 5 Replies
I had a c section with my first but it was an emergency. I am having a repeat next Thursday and I was just wondering what the process is like for a scheduled?
My last prenatal appointment is Friday, so I plan to ask my doctor then as well, but I wanted to get some firsthand experiences.
Also, will my fiancé get to cut the cord? He's hoping to but we aren't sure.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
rmgriffberg
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Im no help, I bad a c section and then 2 vbacs, but here is a BUMP.
Pandapanda
by Amber on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:05 AM
You can always tell your doctor your preferences. If you aren't comfortable with a VBAC, then certainly look into what is called a "family centered cesarean". It would give you the chance to delay cord clamping AND have your partner cut the cord, skin to skin immediately after birth while still in the OR, and can improve apgar scores for baby as well as speed your immediate post-op recovery.
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:10 AM
Our hospital didn't allow anyone to cut the cord other than the doctor.

As far as what to expect, you'll go and check in. They'll get you into a bed and hooked up to whatever they need you on (iv, monitors). You'll meet with your OB and anesthesiologist. Because it's scheduled, not emergency, you're lower priority so you could get stuck waiting a while. They'll do the surgery, then you'll go to recovery, then to your room. Our hospital encourages skin to skin and breastfeeding in recovery, but every hospital is different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisUsmcWifey
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Ask their policy on delayed cord cutting and skin to skin. My midwife and OB offer it and what's called a "gentle c-section", and if all goes well i'll be doing that. I may even get to see my daughter being born which would be amazing to me. VBAC wasn't an option for me this time around even though I did my best to look into it and try for it, my body just doesn't handle childbirth well. I'd ask about having the baby in the room with you right away, if you can have visitors and if so how many, if you can breast feed right away(if you're trying to BF, if not no biggie), i'd also ask about what meds they will be giving you and if you're allowed to get up and move around afterwards. I was up walking around just a few hours after my surgery and it helped my recovery time tremendously!

lovebug8526
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:56 AM
You csnnot eat for 8 or 12 hours i really cant remember what one
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)