Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Why am I leaking breastmilk?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:55 AM
  • 12 Replies
2 moms liked this

So I had my daughter 2 years ago, and stopped breastfeeding around when she turned 1. I've been on Mirena for about a year, and my boyfriend and I don't use any other form of birth control. Lately I've been really nauseous, exhausted all the time, I have to pee constantly, my moods have been up and down for the past few weeks and every time I stand up I get wicked dizzy and feel like I'm gonna pass out. I also just noticed that I'm leaking breastmilk. My boyfriend said there was a wet spot on the bed last night too. I went to my obgyn because I thought something seemed weird with my period, and when he checked the Mirena he said he couldn't see the strings.I was supposed to have an ultrasound today, but my car broke down so i couldn't get there. Could there be other reasons that I'm leaking breastmilk, or could I be pregnant?

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booaura
by Aurabella on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:31 AM
Hormones can change and be impacted by various things, so they could have potentially caused the leaking, but pregnancy is always a possibility, no birth control is 100%. Have you taken a pregnancy test?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bandeek
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:19 AM

i have no way to get somewhere that sells them. the closest place is 10 minutes by car.

Quoting booaura: Hormones can change and be impacted by various things, so they could have potentially caused the leaking, but pregnancy is always a possibility, no birth control is 100%. Have you taken a pregnancy test?

blinker612
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 5:38 AM
Oh weird.

Well my aunt got prego while she was on the pill. It happens. Good luck.

Maybe you'll end up on an episode of I didn't know I was pregnant. Jk
Michaelsmom0522
by Kristina on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM
The only time I've ever seen or heard of anyone leaking milk is when they were pregnant.
JCKitten87
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:46 AM
That iud has been known to cause crazy side effects
WillsMOM72
by Stephanie on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM
It takes a long time for your milk to dry up. It took over 2 years for mine to. You could be pregnant though. Can a friend or family member take you to get a test?
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM

You could be pregnant or not. I still leak from time to time and I haven't breastfeed for about two years. Everyone is different and our bodies do some weird things at times.

rachellaree20
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Other than when I was pregnant, my breasts leaked while I was on an antidepressant, Resperdal, when I was 14.  It scared the crap out of me until I found out it was just the meds and not pregnancy but once I stopped the meds, the leaking stopped.  I hope you can get it figured out soon!

gingerprincess
by Kat on Aug. 16, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Hormone imbalance can cause you to leak fluid from your breasts... its an upset of the hormone prolactin... this could be the case... but with the other symptoms, pregnancy could be the case as well. Even IUD are not failproof. Why did your doctor not give you a pregnancy test while you were there?

ilovemykids732
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM

The IUD had my body thinking it was pregnant... I was leaking milk, and super emotional... had that thing removed pretty fast... but my bff was leaking milk, she called her DR and they did tests and found out that she was in the early stages of breastcancer... so I would call your dr honey

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)