Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Will you be using a pacifier?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 5:15 PM
  • 20 Replies
With my first child we bought some pacifiers and my mom told me it would mess up her teeth so we stopped using it at 4 months. You think grandma knows best... But then she started sucking her thumb to go to sleep. It took us forever to get her to stop. It was a bad experience because i was scared she would suck her thumb at preschool. Luckily we have passed that stage. With my 2nd we gave him the pacifier until he was a year old. We just took it away cold turkey and he was fine. We are expecting our 3rd in December and we are using the pacifier again.

But I'm curious on how everyone else feels about pacifiers?
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 5:18 PM
We offer a pacifier two out of three have used them. We don't take pacifiers away at a "magical" age just like any other attachment item (blanket, teddy etc) our kiddos willingly give them up and we have had no issues.
This one will be offered one as well
Heather2001
by Heather on Aug. 16, 2014 at 5:19 PM

None of my kids ever liked pacifiers.  They all sucked their thumbs for a week or two, then stopped.  IDK, I guess I'm their pacifier, lol.

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM
No
Curlgurl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 5:48 PM
I will be offering one. I loved it earth my daughter for comfort and it was not difficult to take away when she was ready. We used it a little past 2yo and the dentist wasn't even concerned.
Larsbug
by Laura on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM

DS1 took one and he got rid of it on his own at 10 months... DS2 never wanted one so we never pushed it. With this baby boy we will offer and if he takes it fine, if he doesn't that's ok too.

MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM

We don't offer pacifiers for two main reasons... bad for dental development, and it teaches a conflicting sucking method for breastfeeding.  Aside from that I just don't think they are necessary, because there are infinite other ways to soothe a baby.  I would rather be the one doing it.  No issues with thumb sucking either.

LoveVenus
by Venus on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:43 PM

2 out of 3 took them. I usually am not the one that offers the baby one.My mom does lol as she did all her grandkids lol

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM

We had them, but my kids really never used them. Most of the time mommy ended up being the paci. xD

abifasc
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Yes I'm all for them. My oldest never took it and my 2nd did. This baby will too.
ThisizShar
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:15 AM
Absolutely not
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN