Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

castor oil?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:31 AM
  • 69 Replies
I'm 39 weeks and 5 days and more then excited! I'm a FTM and my dad and mom are going away for work on the 21st and this is there first grandchild, and I want them too see her before she's born.
I took castor oil 1 week ago, and nothing happened. Just mild diarrhea. I was only 1 cm and long and thick, told my doctor and he said it won't work unless your close to labour..
I went to the hospital today with mild cramping and mucus leaking out, turns out I lost my plug and the baby has moved right into the birth canal. I'm now 1 and a half cm dilated and (as she put it) it's moved closer and very soft.
I was wondering if castor oil worked for anybody in this situation?
How much did you take if it did work?
Thanks mommies! :)
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rebeccarae
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Castor oil is not good and my doctor would be PISSED if I pulled a stunt like that. With my first I just walked a lot as it was, and my husband and I were intimate, and I kept walking. My son arrived on his own, 2 days before he was due. Your baby will come when ready.
want10more
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:43 AM

i would say keep as active as you can, but baby will come when baby is ready. i wouldn't do castor oil. or anything else. tho yeah it'd be great for your mom and dad to see that? it can be really harmful to try to get baby to come before they're really ready. patience momma! lol. and w/ a couple of my kids i lost my plug WAYYYY before i was ready to deliver.

Larsbug
by Laura on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:27 AM

castor oil is bad for you... there are much safer ways to induce labor this long but honestly with this being a first baby you can be at a 1 for 2 more weeks before labor occurs.

Eating pineapple and drinking pineapple juice is said to cause contractions, nipple stimulation, bouncing on a birthing ball (exercise ball), walking, sex... try these first before taking anymore castor oil please.

Larsbug
by Laura on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

my doctor too...she would yell at me lol

Quoting rebeccarae: Castor oil is not good and my doctor would be PISSED if I pulled a stunt like that. With my first I just walked a lot as it was, and my husband and I were intimate, and I kept walking. My son arrived on his own, 2 days before he was due. Your baby will come when ready.

Heather2001
by Heather on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:34 AM

The average first time mom gestates 41 weeks 2 days if not artificially induced (as in, with drugs - natural methods don't work unless you're ready to go into labor anyway).  I guess I've never really understood why someone would take a diarrhea-inducer to try to cut a pregnancy a week or two short.  Yes, those last couple weeks are miserable, but baby is infinitly easier to take care of and safer inside rather than out until s/he is ready.

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:38 AM
I wouldn't take castor oil if you paid me! Gross!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Castor oil is dangerous for you and for baby! You will be very lucky if baby doesn't end up having a bowel movement in the womb! Baby could still need another week or more. By rushing it your putting yourself at risk for complications. 

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Don't do it
MamaBearEH
Your EDD is not a psychic prediction of exact timing, or an expiry. Be patient - every extra day your baby remains in the womb is a blessing for his or her health!
Yesterday at 4:42 PM
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Castol oil itself does NOT induce labour - you've been misinformed.  The real natural method is a concoction that includes castor oil, and shouldn't be taken without the approval of your care provider.  Your EDD is an estimate, and as Heather said a normal pregnancy is longer than 38 weeks.  Let your baby come when he/she is ready instead of risking their health by trying to induce early - especially yourself when you don't know what you're doing.

HippieMomma08
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I'm with the other ladies.

Castor oil is dangerous and no amount of induction methods will work unless baby is coming anyway. Walking and sex are your best bets. Even though it would be nice to time your baby's arrival, it makes for a much happier infant and mommy to just let her come on her own time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN