Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

My mom is going to try to steal my baby once he is born.

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:32 PM
  • 443 Replies
4 moms liked this
I am 24, engaged, and 34 weeks pregnant with my son. He is my first baby and my parents' first grandchild. My mom has always been a malicious type of control freak (she has even gone as far as making sure two people at work were fired just because she wanted a chance at applying for their jobs...it's been a little scary). She is relentless at times, and my dad is an architect so she definitely has all the money in the world to play with when she really wants something done. Well, yesterday she was with me at the store picking out a car seat. I bought a $78 car seat and she promptly told me she would be getting a much nicer one to put in her car. She has also bought herself a stroller, high chair, crib (she decorated an entire nursery at her house for the baby), and more baby things than I have at my own house. She also refused to go to my baby shower last weekend. At first I thought she was only just excited because this is the first grandbaby...but after yesterday I'm starting to get nervous. She has NEVER liked my fiance and for whatever reason she has filed away that he is going to abuse our baby. He is a little rough around the edges (lots of tattoos and such), but he would never do anything to hurt a child. He is so sweet and loving with his 5 year old daughter that it's just ridiculous sounding every time my mom tries to say that I need to make sure he has no rights to the baby for protection purposes. Yesterday I told her that there's really no reason for her to buy anymore baby formula (I'm planning on breastfeeding but she is completely against me doing that so she has been stocking up on Similac formula and bottles...whatever) and I also told her that she isn't going to have the baby by herself all that much. She was extremely upset about that! She insisted that when I work she would be taking care of the baby, but my plan with my fiance is that he will be working mornings and I will be the caretaker, and then when I go to work at night HE will be taking care of the baby so we should never have to have a babysitter for reasons related to work. My mother is acting like she is going to be a second mom, or even possibly have him more than me! She got so upset when I told her I'm not going to be leaving the baby with her every day that she actually threatened to call child services over the first hang nail she finds on the baby and have him taken away from us. Like I can't take care of my own baby...it's making me a little nervous. I can honestly see her calling child services too; she is definitely that much of a control freak. I have always been very close to my mom, I'm pretty much the only friend she's got. But something like this (her trying to take my child from me) would be enough to make me cut all ties and never want to speak to her again. Does anyone have any advice on this situation? I know this was kind of a long post, but it is REALLY bothering me.
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM
49 moms liked this

file fo a RO...she has no rights to your child and this would definately insure that

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM
43 moms liked this
My only advice is to never leave your child alone with her.
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:39 PM
15 moms liked this
Slap her with a restraining order
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudNavyWife14
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:39 PM
38 moms liked this
I could see why this bothers you.. it's bothering me just reading about it. You should sit your mom down and put it all out on the table. Like, you are NOT keeping my baby. This is MY baby. This baby will live with ME AND MY FIANCE. Stop buying shit for my child for YOUR house because it's all going to go to waste. Chill the fffff out.

This is your baby and you shouldn't have to worry about this kind of stuff especially when it comes to your own mother. I'm really sorry your in that situation
ProudNavyWife14
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM
10 moms liked this
I agree with all three of these posts. Restraining order, RO, and NEVER leave you child alone with that woman. She is nuts.

Quoting schultzal: My only advice is to never leave your child alone with her.
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM
47 moms liked this

My advice? RUN. Do not let her see that baby or interact with that baby at all. :/ If she is threatening you already, and that baby isn't born yet, imagine how much worse it will be when the baby is born. If it were me, I would cut all contact. I would sit her down and explain to her that her behavior has been over-the-top, and out of concern for myself and my family, I can no longer allow her to be a part of our lives. I would change phone numbers, I would block all social media, and if she made any more threats, I would ask for a protective order against her. Honestly, she sounds like the kind of grandmother who kidnaps their grandchild because mom breastfeeds to often or holds the baby too much.

MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM
2 moms liked this

She's already gone way past crossing the line in my books.  I'd also be looking into a restraining or no contact order.  If you've approached her on it now, she doesn't get it, and is making threats to get her way... that's a really good indication of what you will have to deal with down the road.  It's going to be that much more difficult to deal with later on.

lillucky8
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow, im sorry. I dont really have advice, except stick with your gut instinct.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneck.crazy
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 2:25 AM
6 moms liked this
NEVER NEVER NEVER leave her alone with the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chickensmommy
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Stay away from her! Don't ever allow her around your family!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN