Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Screening tests...does anyone know...?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:26 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm not pregnant, but we are doing pre-conception screening and planning to TTC next month. I'm curious though, if anyone has done screening for Tay Sachs and/or CF and ended up paying out of pocket (these would be maternal screenings to see if I'm a carrier). I am guessing we will have to, and curious if anyone can give me an idea about how much it will cost. 

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bookworm326
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:55 AM

There is a CF carrier test that you essentially swish mouthwash and they send that in for the DNA sample. That was not covered by my insurance but it was only $ 25. My doctor at the time told me not to worry about Tay Sachs as neither my husband nor I are of an at risk ethnicity. But usually with my insurance if my doctor argues the need of the test they usually will relent and pay. 

browncoat
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:00 AM

My PCP is ordering them for us, so I suspect insurance will balk because she isn't a genetic counselor or OB. But we'll see.

Quoting bookworm326:

There is a CF carrier test that you essentially swish mouthwash and they send that in for the DNA sample. That was not covered by my insurance but it was only $ 25. My doctor at the time told me not to worry about Tay Sachs as neither my husband nor I are of an at risk ethnicity. But usually with my insurance if my doctor argues the need of the test they usually will relent and pay. 

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Bump, I never did testing! If I was a carrier for something it wouldnt change my decision to have kids. 

Kmakksmom
by ~*Stefanie*~ on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never done testing. Nothing would change how we feel about our kids anyway.

Good luck! :)
browncoat
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM
It would change the way we went about conceiving. I don't know if you are familiar with Tay Sachs, but it's absolutely devastating and we couldn't stand to bring a child into the world who would suffer so much. CF as well, obviously. Since it's possible to do IVF with PGD, we want to know so that we could go that route to conceive.

Quoting NoraDun:

Bump, I never did testing! If I was a carrier for something it wouldnt change my decision to have kids. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:59 PM

For us personally IVF isn't possible due to religious beliefs so I still stand by my original reply. But I wsh you the best and hope it all works out for you hun!

Quoting browncoat: It would change the way we went about conceiving. I don't know if you are familiar with Tay Sachs, but it's absolutely devastating and we couldn't stand to bring a child into the world who would suffer so much. CF as well, obviously. Since it's possible to do IVF with PGD, we want to know so that we could go that route to conceive.
Quoting NoraDun:

browncoat
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
If we knew we ran the risk of having a child with devastating, lethal genetic illness, we would do PGD to prevent causing that suffering.

Quoting Kmakksmom: I've never done testing. Nothing would change how we feel about our kids anyway.

Good luck! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Are you and your husband both Ashkenazi Jews? 

And for CF, if you are testing to see if you are a carrier, your husband should be tested as well.

browncoat
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Yes.

We plan to have my husband tested as well for both, but so long as we know I'm not a carrier we can conceive without worrying and do his testing at our leisure.

Quoting OneToughMami:

And for CF, if you are testing to see if you are a carrier, your husband should be tested as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Okay. I always ask because I know a few people who randomly heard about it and were tested only to realize after that it's extremely rare in non-Ashkenazi Jews. 

Quoting browncoat: Yes. We plan to have my husband tested as well for both, but so long as we know I'm not a carrier we can conceive without worrying and do his testing at our leisure.
Quoting OneToughMami:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)