Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Baby Shower 'Rules' You Should Consider Breaking?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM
  • 17 Replies

The Stir is looking for suggestions from parents on baby shower "rules" you should consider breaking: Like not opening gifts, keeping it gender neutral, playing Bingo/having favors. What are some modernized ideas to replace some of the traditional ones? 

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:50 PM

#1 Not having a baby shower at all? Paying for your own baby's needs

#2 Having a baby shower for each child, not just the 1st

I dont know, I suck at this stuff. I will say that I think baby showers have become tacky and people have become spoiled. I had to pay for all of my kiddos things. I didnt get everything handed to me. I have a neice now preggo with #4 not sure how many baby daddy's doesn't take care of any of them and she told everyone when she announced the pregnancy on facebook "Now who is throwing me a shower?" you have 4 kids under 3 you shouldn't NEED a baby shower. Then I was invited to a friends shower and her and her mother told everyone what to bring. So you couldnt bring something out the goodness of your heart. You had to bring whatever she needed and didn't have yet. And whatever that was it was given to you and that was what you brought! I found it tacky so I didn't attend. 

Kmakksmom
by ~*Stefanie*~ on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:56 PM
I don't know. I've never had a baby shower *pregnant with #6 now*, and have never been invited to any.
OneToughMami
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:12 PM
  • Keeping it gender neutral.
  • Not having a seperate gender reveal. Do it at the shower
  • Not asking for overpriced items like cribs, dressers, and carseats. 
  • Only having 1 baby shower, no one needs three.
  • Keep it small...there no reason to have your coworker you see once a month at your baby shower.
  • Remember it's about the baby and not you!
OneToughMami
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Quoting NoraDun:

I dont know, I suck at this stuff. I will say that I think baby showers have become tacky and people have become spoiled. I had to pay for all of my kiddos things. I didnt get everything handed to me. I have a neice now preggo with #4 not sure how many baby daddy's doesn't take care of any of them and she told everyone when she announced the pregnancy on facebook "Now who is throwing me a shower?" you have 4 kids under 3 you shouldn't NEED a baby shower. Then I was invited to a friends shower and her and her mother told everyone what to bring. So you couldnt bring something out the goodness of your heart. You had to bring whatever she needed and didn't have yet. And whatever that was it was given to you and that was what you brought! I found it tacky so I didn't attend. 

I am having a shower, because well, I never had one with my daughter, she was born the week it was supposed to be. Plus, my kids are 11 years apart. I am not a fan of registries where people ask for things they need as opposed to silly little wants or random things like extra bottles. Like...why should I buy your damn nursery furniture for you?!

I didn't go to a baby shower recently because of something similar to your story though. I mean in addition to the fact they registered all their nursery furniture and an almost $300 carseat...they were asking for a book instead of a card (okay that's fine, they want the baby to have books), then they asked that the gift not be wrapped in paper but a blanket (alright trying to be green), BUT the part I was like "oh ef that" was they were having a potluck dinner and asked that you inform the hostess what you would be bringing and they hoped it would be something representative of your ethnicity but also healthy. Like...nah.

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I like the old ways of keeping the shower a surprise. Mom shouldn't be involved, too stressful.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:08 PM
I like this!

Quoting Devious103102: I like the old ways of keeping the shower a surprise. Mom shouldn't be involved, too stressful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:08 PM
2 moms liked this
A shower/sprinkle for every baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookoholic
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM
I like the baby blanket idea verses wrapping paper.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting NoraDun:

I am having a shower, because well, I never had one with my daughter, she was born the week it was supposed to be. Plus, my kids are 11 years apart. I am not a fan of registries where people ask for things they need as opposed to silly little wants or random things like extra bottles. Like...why should I buy your damn nursery furniture for you?!

I didn't go to a baby shower recently because of something similar to your story though. I mean in addition to the fact they registered all their nursery furniture and an almost $300 carseat...they were asking for a book instead of a card (okay that's fine, they want the baby to have books), then they asked that the gift not be wrapped in paper but a blanket (alright trying to be green), BUT the part I was like "oh ef that" was they were having a potluck dinner and asked that you inform the hostess what you would be bringing and they hoped it would be something representative of your ethnicity but also healthy. Like...nah.

HeavenonEarth81
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:28 AM

The stupid games have got to go... I recently heard about a baby shower where they  melted different chocolates like milkey way and butterfingers into an actual diaper and people had to sniff it, taste it... it was horrible. Glad I wasn't invited LOL 

baby development

blinker612
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:29 AM
Haha that's so messed up. The lady that did my invites asked me if I wanted to do the card thing and all I could think was hell no. Books cost between 5 and 10 dollars. They are a gift in themselves. It's greedy to ask for a gift AND a book.
I'm having a baby shower and I made a registry, but most of the stuff is either diapers or under $10. I made it clear to my friends I don't expect anything. I just want to see my friends I have seen in a few months before I give birth.

I did put a few over priced things on my registry though because they give you those completion coupons, but I did that as a way for me to get a discount on buying it. I do not expect anyone to buy me those things. Plus the grandparents to be said they would buy whatever was left on the registry after the shower. I didn't put nursery furniture or a crib or anything though that's just too much.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting NoraDun:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)