Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Maternity leave

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM
  • 10 Replies
I'm due in December. So i think the best thin to do is to take off all December and go back after New Years? But how long do you moms plan on being on maternity leave?
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaltimoreBaby
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM
I guess it would depend on how late into December you were due. I wanted as much time as possible with my daughter after she was born. I worked up until midnight the night before I went in for the section.

I still ended up working after only 4 weeks, even though I had 8 weeks. Bitter about this still: I ended up not even getting paid for those first 4 weeks. It got complicated and messy, and was probably illegal but I had enough on my plate between the newborn and grad school.
Jsanchez125
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:25 PM
I'm srry your maternity leave got cut.
I'm due 12/12 but the obgyn says i will deliver early. He's estimating the last week in November. So I'm thinking that probably after thanksgiving(yay) i wont be coming back to work. And my two other kids have winter vacation so i might as well stay at home the whole month. I'm planning on buying all xmas presents early. And paying all bills a month in advanced. So i have no worries about money since I will most likely not have any PTO left by them

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: I guess it would depend on how late into December you were due. I wanted as much time as possible with my daughter after she was born. I worked up until midnight the night before I went in for the section.

I still ended up working after only 4 weeks, even though I had 8 weeks. Bitter about this still: I ended up not even getting paid for those first 4 weeks. It got complicated and messy, and was probably illegal but I had enough on my plate between the newborn and grad school.
BaltimoreBaby
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
In that case, sounds like a plan. Have an amazing time!!

Quoting Jsanchez125: I'm srry your maternity leave got cut.

I'm due 12/12 but the obgyn says i will deliver early. He's estimating the last week in November. So I'm thinking that probably after thanksgiving(yay) i wont be coming back to work. And my two other kids have winter vacation so i might as well stay at home the whole month. I'm planning on buying all xmas presents early. And paying all bills a month in advanced. So i have no worries about money since I will most likely not have any PTO left by them
Quoting BaltimoreBaby: I guess it would depend on how late into December you were due. I wanted as much time as possible with my daughter after she was born. I worked up until midnight the night before I went in for the section.

dixiegurl223626
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm about to be on my 14th week and loved every minute of it. I go back to work a week from today:(. I was taken out of work in May due to pregnancy complications and Noah was born July 2. I am going back 8 weeks after his birth. So hard to believe he will be 8 weeks next week. Time flies, but this 14 weeks has been a blessing.
kelly617
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 3:25 AM
1 mom liked this

My job offer's 8wks of "paid" maternity leave (by paid they offer about 25% of my normal pay....but at least its something)

I worked up until the day my kids were born...I wanted to use the maternity leave to recover and bond

blinker612
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 6:16 AM
I think it depends on how you are feeling and what kid of job you have. I know people who have gone back to work after a week and people who have taken 3 or 4 months off.

Unfortunately for me I'm a full time student and due right around fall midterms so I had to take a whole semester off (which is working out to about 5 or 6 months because of summer and winter breaks) blah!

I feel like you should always plan for the unknown. Like maybe tell whoever you need to that you plan to come back after new years, but let them know you might need an extra week incase something comes up or the baby doesn't come as early as you think.
Jsanchez125
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Thats a goo idea. I will write it up at home and give the letter to my manager on Monday.

Quoting blinker612: I think it depends on how you are feeling and what kid of job you have. I know people who have gone back to work after a week and people who have taken 3 or 4 months off.

Unfortunately for me I'm a full time student and due right around fall midterms so I had to take a whole semester off (which is working out to about 5 or 6 months because of summer and winter breaks) blah!

I feel like you should always plan for the unknown. Like maybe tell whoever you need to that you plan to come back after new years, but let them know you might need an extra week incase something comes up or the baby doesn't come as early as you think.
StreetsAhead
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 9:53 AM
I took 6mnths off.
I have the right to 52weeks and when I went was undecided about taking 6 or 9 mnths.
But I need to get back to work for myself
Jsanchez125
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 10:01 AM
I for think my job would wait 6 months for me. I'm sure they would tell me they would need to replace me if thats how long i wanted to take.

Quoting StreetsAhead: I took 6mnths off.
I have the right to 52weeks and when I went was undecided about taking 6 or 9 mnths.
But I need to get back to work for myself
booaura
by Aurabella on Aug. 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm due in December, but will probably have them earlier. We're shooting for at least November right now. I don't know how long I'll stay home. I'm not working right now because of the complications I've had, but I very much want to go back as soon as I can. We'll see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)