Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

No heart beat? Update!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:37 AM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have been a wreck over this and maybe I shouldnt have done it. I got 4 positive pregnancy tests this past sunday. I called my Dr and made an appointment but wont be seen until this friday next week. I did the math on my own and if im right I should be around 14-15 weeks ( first day of last period was may 4th). This whole thing came as a huge surprise to me and it doesnt seem real. Like other than the symptoms I have been having I dont feel pregnant. So I thought why not get out the fetal doppler I bought when I was pregnant with my daughter? I remember being able to hear her heart beat at around 12 weeks, and remember being told that was when you can usually hear the heart beat. Thinking if im 14 weeks along I should hear it no problem. I heard nothing. I did everything I remember doing with my daughter, checked down by the pelvic area and worked my way up and around that area. I could only hear my pulse. Its so strange because I swear I could feel some fluttering feeling but now thinking that could have been something else. Now I dont know what to think. I was trying to confirm my pregnancy because it was bothering me and killing me having to wait, and now im more confused and bummed. I know this wouldn't be a planned pregnancy but I was starting to come around to the idea after the shock and irritation wore off. 

UPDATE! 

I have an update today. First I would like to thank you all for your support and logic when I was panicky. My Dr office called me monday and said they had an opening sooner for tuesday, so I jumped on it. After reading what you guys said I did a little research online about; if its possible to tell when you are most likely to conceive if you have irregular/long cycles. It took hours of searching. Pretty much coming up with the same answers.. no one can tell, until I came to this TTC forum on another site, in which had a lady who claimed to be a nurse. She said that most ppl have it wrong and they count based off the usual way a cycle works. She explained that if your cycles are long you can not determine when you ovulate based off the norm formula of a 28 day cycle. INSTEAD! you take the luteal phase (14 days) which is the one thing that never changes in any cycle and subtract it from the number of days in your cycle. In my case was 60 and 90. I did both because its either or. Well I did the math and counted back and came up with 11 weeks for the 60 day cycle, and 7 weeks for the 90 day. I went to see the Dr, and they wanted to do a sono on me, thinking I was 16 weeks. Turns out my calculations were closer, I am 6 weeks today. There is a heart beat and so far everything is looking good, but they want me to come back in a few weeks to check again because the Dr saw two yolk sacks. She could only see one baby, but it was hard to do without doing a vaginal and their vag transducer ( or whatever she called it) was not working. So we couldnt get a clear shot of anything. Im thinking there is only one baby because of where everything is positioned and she was able to only see one baby. 

by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneck.crazy
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:01 AM
Don't stress it momma. ((Hugs)) put the Doppler away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 3:28 AM

Just curious...why did you wait so long to test after missing 3 cycles?
Its possible you are not as far along as you think....if you ovulated very very late
I've known some ladies that got pregnant after they ovulated on day 40 or 50 (normal ovulation is day 14ish)

Larsbug
by Laura on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:20 AM
1 mom liked this
You may not be as far along as you think...put the doppler away. my doc doesn't even use the doppler until the 16 week appointment and even then doesnt stress if it cant be heard
blinker612
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:45 AM
Why did you wait so long to take a test? (Not trying to be rude. Just wondering)

I have irregular periods and if I'm a few days late, which is normal for me, I always test anyway. Just to be safe.

Technically my last period was just after Thanksgiving and I didn't get pregnant till mid January. So you might not be that far along. I took tests at the end of December and the end of January because of the wacky periods and they all came up negative, the 2 weeks later I took another one and I was pregnant. If I went by my last period, I'd be overdue by now, but I'm no just wait till you see the doctor.

Mine told me second trimester ultrasounds are not very accurate at telling due dates though. My first one at 8 weeks said I was due OCT 8, but I switched doctors and he wanted to do one and it said I'm due OCT 14. I'm measuring with the first one so we are sticking with that date.

Good luck!
booaura
by Aurabella on Aug. 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
There are a lot of reasons you may not hear it: your math could be wrong, you could have an anterior placenta, baby could be positioned in a way that you can't hear it, and 14 weeks is still early to catch a heartbeat with a doppler.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sirinme94
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry for just now getting back to my post, things have been hectic here, getting ready for school to start. Thank you, and dont worry I put that thing away soon after.  

Quoting redneck.crazy: Don't stress it momma. ((Hugs)) put the Doppler away.

N_maricle
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Even my midwife had trouble finding a heartbeat with her high quality Doppler. Plus, it could be possible that you aren't as far along as you think. Good luck, hope everything works out!

sirinme94
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:46 PM

My cycles are usually that long. I usually go 2-3 months, sometimes 4 without menstruating. Thats the norm for me. Its been that way for over 10 years. If I had believed I could be pregnant I would have tested a long time ago, but I have been down this road so many times before and always got a negative. I figured my period would start up as normal, especially when I was having menstrual symptoms. Cramps , bloating etc.. . The only thing that tipped me off that I could be pregnant was when I started to gag at the thought of foods that I normally eat. I only do that when im pregnant so I thought I better check, still thinking it was a fluke. You are right, I was thinking about this last night. Being that my cycles are so off there is no telling when I ovulate. I know the basics of a normal cycle but mine its so off I cant tell. I was told by many Dr.s that no period means no ovulation. And being that I was on the pill up until late april, the fact that we weren't trying,  I didnt give much thought that this could happen- well not 100% sure but pretty darn sure it wouldnt. 

Quoting kelly617:

Just curious...why did you wait so long to test after missing 3 cycles?Its possible you are not as far along as you think....if you ovulated very very late I've known some ladies that got pregnant after they ovulated on day 40 or 50 (normal ovulation is day 14ish)

sirinme94
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:09 AM

It's not rude, I understand why people ask. I guess technically my periods are irregular, in that they dont come like clock work every month, but my periods typically come every 2-3 months. At times its been 4 months and I have tested countless times when I go longer than 3 months - sometimes after 2 if for some reason there could be a possibility - but its always been negative. If I tested every time I go longer than a month or two with out having a period I would probably be in debt right now ( exaggerating of course btu that would be a lot of wasted money over the years) . There was nothing really out of the norm for me to think to test this time. I wasnt even sickly feeling like I have been in the past with my other pregnancies. Usually I get sick early on, have early symptoms at around 8-9 weeks gestation. This time I only started to have symptoms a few weeks ago and at first they were so mild and they mimicked my typical PMS symptoms, in which I have about 2 weeks before each period. I usually have light nausea, cramping, bloating, and even that pressure I get with the ovaries. Aside from the nausea , which is typically worse when pregnant, none of the other symptoms I have ever had with my other pregnancies . I might not be as far along giving my cycles are so different than a normal cycle. Because right now, I cant seem to find a good sign from a few months back that I could say should have been a definite sign I was pregnant. 

Quoting blinker612: Why did you wait so long to take a test? (Not trying to be rude. Just wondering) I have irregular periods and if I'm a few days late, which is normal for me, I always test anyway. Just to be safe. Technically my last period was just after Thanksgiving and I didn't get pregnant till mid January. So you might not be that far along. I took tests at the end of December and the end of January because of the wacky periods and they all came up negative, the 2 weeks later I took another one and I was pregnant. If I went by my last period, I'd be overdue by now, but I'm no just wait till you see the doctor. Mine told me second trimester ultrasounds are not very accurate at telling due dates though. My first one at 8 weeks said I was due OCT 8, but I switched doctors and he wanted to do one and it said I'm due OCT 14. I'm measuring with the first one so we are sticking with that date. Good luck!

kelly617
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:30 AM

Ah okay so this was normal for you...then I would not worry too much...
If your cycles are that long its likely that you wouldn't have ovulated until towards the end

Cycles are weird....there are two parts (well three kinda) there is the first part the time from the first day of your period until the day you ovulate and then there is the time from the day you ovulate until the day of your period (luteal phase)
as far as I know (from researchin google lol) your luteal phase should be pretty much the same every cycle..so if your's is say 14 days it will ALWAYS be about 14 days give or take a day...but the first half (before O day) can vary WILDLY....so chances are you may only be a few weeks along...6 or 8 with the onset of symptoms

So don't stress you are probably NOT as far along as your LMP would have you believe..and even with that my doc couldn't get a hb on a doppler at my 12wk appointment and had to resort to an ultrasound to get it....and it was there. It also depends on baby's position, position of your placenta (could block hb sounds) and a bunch of other factors
so don't stress and CONGRATS!!!

Quoting sirinme94:

My cycles are usually that long. I usually go 2-3 months, sometimes 4 without menstruating. Thats the norm for me. Its been that way for over 10 years. If I had believed I could be pregnant I would have tested a long time ago, but I have been down this road so many times before and always got a negative. I figured my period would start up as normal, especially when I was having menstrual symptoms. Cramps , bloating etc.. . The only thing that tipped me off that I could be pregnant was when I started to gag at the thought of foods that I normally eat. I only do that when im pregnant so I thought I better check, still thinking it was a fluke. You are right, I was thinking about this last night. Being that my cycles are so off there is no telling when I ovulate. I know the basics of a normal cycle but mine its so off I cant tell. I was told by many Dr.s that no period means no ovulation. And being that I was on the pill up until late april, the fact that we weren't trying,  I didnt give much thought that this could happen- well not 100% sure but pretty darn sure it wouldnt. 

Quoting kelly617:

Just curious...why did you wait so long to test after missing 3 cycles?Its possible you are not as far along as you think....if you ovulated very very late I've known some ladies that got pregnant after they ovulated on day 40 or 50 (normal ovulation is day 14ish)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN