Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Terrified of birth!

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 12:47 AM
  • 39 Replies

I never suffered from any form of anxiety until pregnancy. I am almost 37 weeks pregnant now with my first child and the anticipation of labor and birth is making me so anxious and nervous. I am afraid of giving birth, never felt this way before. I am trying to remember this is an exciting time, but the unknown is killing me. You hear so many women's stories about how they were in labor 23 hours or the epidural didnt work...etc. Its made me so nervous I barely sleep at night! I need some words of encouragement and hope!

by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeavenonEarth81
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:06 AM

I wish I had encouraging advice but I'm terrified of the bill for giving birth. Hang in there, labor won't last forever 

baby development

Heather2001
by Heather on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this
It's such a small fraction of your life and the end result is amazing. Keep in mind that women before you have been doing it for millennia and you aren't alone. Read positive birth stories to get you in a better frame of mind.
mychinababy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
3 moms liked this
I've given birth to four children naturally with no meds. I actually look forward to labor! It's such an amazing powerful feeling and I really feel like superwoman by the end lol. I loved the book birthing from within which helped me calm my mind and be emotionally ready for labor which is so important. Keeping your body relaxed is critical in order to keep your contractions from overtaking you. One major thing you need to remember is the less interventions you have (cervix checks, pitocin, iv, epidural, etc.) will more than likely keep you from long outdrawn labors. Try to wait for your body to go into labor naturally then listen to your body. Don't go to l&d too early or it could stall labor.
Let me know if you need someone to talk to. I love talking about it!
Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM
I guess I would just say that once you are in labor, your instincts will kick in. No matter what you face, you'll just deal with it because you don't have another choice.

I've delivered 3 and had some "not my favorite" moments with a couple of them but I knew the baby needed to be born and shutting down wasn't going to change that. The "not my favorite" moments from my first delivery drastically changed me and the way I manage life now and all of those changes were GOOD. At the time I certainly had rather the experience be a cake walk but looking back, I wouldn't change a thing.

You'll do great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM
I think people tell their horrible birth stories more often than their great ones..

I just had my 4th baby & it was an amazing experience. The only time it truly hurt was when I was pushing. But once baby comes out you feel wonderful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Popsicle_Feet
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

It is not an injury pain. It is your body adjusting to a change, muscle movements and such. I always do much better with internal body pain than inflicted pain or injury. I really do not think it is as bad as people claim. I have seem 4 births in my life and none of them were anything like what I have read about or watched on TV. I am nervous too, but the way I see it. . .my body knows what it is doing. 

lovemytwo88
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Millions of women do it every day!! It will be fine. Its going to be the best day of your life :)
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I would put some positive stories in your mind about birthing.  Ina May's book is really great.  It not only educates you about how birth is supposed to happen & how your body works through it, but also there are a bunch of great birth stories!

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM

All you can do is take deep breaths,  labor happens, baby comes out. Woosaa!

mamashealovekin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Watch some water hypnobirthing videos on you tube. There beautiful!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN