Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Reading to Belly...Beneficial??

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM
  • 28 Replies

My MIL is insisting that I read to baby while in belly-- but it sounds silly to me...she says it will make baby intelligent :/  I hate to be rude, but I am just going to tell her that is not something I am interested in doing-

I can understand playing some (soothing) music-- but reading really?? your thoughts?? I am currently 20 weeks-

by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booaura
by Aurabella on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Baby will recognize your voice. There have been some studies done that show it does have an impact on IQ. I've always read to my kids, so in effect, was reading to my belly as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RMslady
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM
I always read to mine while pregnant. But I also read nightly to my other kids so its not a big deal for me.
Heather2001
by Heather on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I'm not a belly reader.  Honestly, I don't connect a lot with baby until they are born anyway.  I figure, baby hears me talking all day long anyway, what's the difference?  I read to my kids, talk to them and my husband and other people, etc.  It feels strange to talk to my bump.

mcmlxxxv
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this. The baby has no idea whether you're reading a story or just talking to other people around you. He only knows that he's hearing that nice sound again. I don't see how it could help him learn when he has no visual reference. I wouldn't even read to a newborn -- they don't look at books, so again, it's just more talking. I started reading to my daughter when she was about 3 months old and would actually look at the pictures and smile at the inflection in my voice.

Quoting Heather2001:

I'm not a belly reader.  Honestly, I don't connect a lot with baby until they are born anyway.  I figure, baby hears me talking all day long anyway, what's the difference?  I read to my kids, talk to them and my husband and other people, etc.  It feels strange to talk to my bump.

StreetsAhead
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:29 AM
I didn't read to the belly but I did talk to it
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM

This

Quoting booaura: Baby will recognize your voice. There have been some studies done that show it does have an impact on IQ. I've always read to my kids, so in effect, was reading to my belly as well.

Larsbug
by Laura on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:35 PM

100% agree, I am just like this!

Quoting Heather2001:

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:41 PM

The baby can hear you, and as their brain develops it does help to have introduced them to language in the belly. I read to my kids, so the baby can hear me reading as well. It's really up to you, though. I find that talking to the belly makes me happy, so I do it. If your MIL asks you to do it, just say you'll think about it and thank her for her advice. It's not really up to her what you do or don't do with your baby.

butterflymama21
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Yes, I read to my son in the womb,played music he really liked the fiddle :) When he was a baby about 4 months and beyond I read books to him.Now he is a really good reader he got a award for it last school year in first grade.
This pregnancy I will do the same but I will have my son read to the baby too :)
ShyShyne
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Thank you all for your replies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN