Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I tell her to back off without being rude?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM
  • 1 Replies
My mil has 2 sons and 4 grandsons and I'm having the first granddaughter Friday. I knew she would be thrilled as we all are but she's REALLY overwhelming me. Ever since we found out she's a girl mil has constantly bought hairbows, headbands, shoes, dresses etc. And while I greatly appreciate all of that I never put shoes on my boys until they were walking (she has 6 pair of newborn shoes!) and always dressed them comfy (sleepers and gowns). Mil has even hired a photographer to come to the hospital Saturday morning and has bought an outfit and bows she wants me to bring for the pics. I'm having a csection and really don't want to spend the day playing dress up with a newborn and irritating her. Mil has also taken off work the week after. Dh agrees with me and told her that we are not treating her like a baby doll by dressing her up all the time. I already know she's going to drive me crazy in the hospital. How would you tell someone like her to back off a little without hurting her feelings?
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
kelza
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM

That's a tough situation to be in, but I always try to embrace the people who make such an effort to be in mine and my kids life. I would let her have fun while she's there and then dress your daughter in comfy clothes when she's not. 

How close do you live to her? If she's far then try to just go with the flow, if she's close then definitely establish some boundaries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)