• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cost

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:12 PM
  • 6 Replies

Just curious,

What did you buy before the baby was born?
Did you buy it early because it was on sale?

What did you buy shortly after the baby was born (first month)?

How much roughly did you spend prior to the baby coming?
How much did you roughly spend after the baby came (first 6 months)

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Pandapanda
by Amber on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

We spent too much with our first. Babies really don't cost anything close to what magazines say they do. 

Car seat, bed, clothes, diapers.. that's all you really need. You can get away with spending $500-600 grand total if you shop smart (or co-sleep, to save money on not buying baby an expensive bed). 

HisUsmcWifey
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM
I haven't bought anything because it was on sale, I just bought what I knew we would need and went from there. We have everything we need and her nursery is done and I'm only 33 weeks, I like to be prepared though. I suggest getting the essentials before baby comes and then adding little things on that you know you'll need after they get here, especially if money if tight or you don't have the room.
LittlePistol87
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I just buy what I like. Most of my family gives me their stuff too. Most parents including myself go over board with the first born. 

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Every baby was so different for me.  With my first, I bought and was given a lot.  As far as the others go, I just made sure I had some outfits, clean blankets, and the rest we ordered once baby arrived...this was the same before too.  I just know now too with other children that things would be all over the place if I wasn't using them (and I would forget if I put anything stored away too).

As far as how much we spent, I have no idea.  I want to say the bulk of the cost was disposable diapers.

Jsanchez125
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:16 PM
We bought the car seat asap because baby cant go home without one. And we bought it early because it was a big ticket item that we wanted to get out of the way it was not on sale.

After baby is born we bought shampoo, body wash, lotion, desitin, pack and play, extra nipples for bottles.

Before baby coming i spent about $400 to $500. After baby i spent like $150

Every month after that i spent at least $200 a month in diapers, wipes etc.
I buy all baby stuff at BJS whole sale club. So everything is in bulk and lasts me for a long time.
kgbm13
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I bought the crib, dresser changing table, pack n play, swing, nest and doppler for about $150 when I was pregnant with my angel.  Tried selling over a yr after our loss but couldnt.  Still have those things already.  Bought baby cloths $40, be joke on me if our guess is wrong.  And fabric to make diapers about $100 there so far.  Breast pads made from diaper making scraps.  Stroller clearance for $65 was $100.  Same one I wanted with our first

need to get car seat, wrap and small things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)