Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about c-section

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM
  • 33 Replies
I m pregnant with my second child who is due on FEb. 15. The OB and I have agreed on the c-section (my first was also a c-section). With my first he was scheduled and I was told to fast the night before the surgery. My question/concern is, what if I'm eating or have just eaten and go into labor? They most likely will still perform the c-section but will that have an adverse affect on me (having food iny stomach)? I worry because I experience pains that I haven't with my first and am concerned that this baby may come earlier than expected. does anyone have any experience with this?
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama232011
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I assume it's fine considering all the emergency c sections but what if you get to hospital and are like 8 cm dialated would you still go with a section? ?
JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
You might throw up from the anesthesia, but you should be fine. I ate almost 26 hours before I ended up with a c-section and still threw that up when they boosted my epidural right before surgery.
aidensmom0407
by Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Idk... Here they're pretty adamant against vbacs. I would hope They'd let me just try it if I'm that far along. I feel pain "down there" (sorry for the TMI) that I never experienced before it's like soreness idk if it's from muscles stretching or what. My first never dropped so idk if that's why I never felt this before. I have my next appointment jan. 14 so hopefully they can tell me what that's all about.

Quoting mama232011: I assume it's fine considering all the emergency c sections but what if you get to hospital and are like 8 cm dialated would you still go with a section? ?
mama232011
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Why? I don't know much about it but I thought a vbac was safer than surgery jw

Quoting aidensmom0407: Idk... Here they're pretty adamant against vbacs. I would hope They'd let me just try it if I'm that far along. I feel pain "down there" (sorry for the TMI) that I never experienced before it's like soreness idk if it's from muscles stretching or what. My first never dropped so idk if that's why I never felt this before. I have my next appointment jan. 14 so hopefully they can tell me what that's all about.

Quoting mama232011: I assume it's fine considering all the emergency c sections but what if you get to hospital and are like 8 cm dialated would you still go with a section? ?
aidensmom0407
by Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Because of the risk of uterine rupture from pushing.

Quoting mama232011: Why? I don't know much about it but I thought a vbac was safer than surgery jw

Quoting aidensmom0407: Idk... Here they're pretty adamant against vbacs. I would hope They'd let me just try it if I'm that far along. I feel pain "down there" (sorry for the TMI) that I never experienced before it's like soreness idk if it's from muscles stretching or what. My first never dropped so idk if that's why I never felt this before. I have my next appointment jan. 14 so hopefully they can tell me what that's all about.

ShowMustGoOn86
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:31 PM
3 moms liked this
Why are you an automatic c section? Even with a prior section, a VBAC is still safer than another major surgery.

The danger with eating is aspiration if you throw up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama232011
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Oh I thought that was rare like 2% thanks for the info

Quoting aidensmom0407: Because of the risk of uterine rupture from pushing.

Quoting mama232011: Why? I don't know much about it but I thought a vbac was safer than surgery jw

aidensmom0407
by Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Because here the hospital/doctors are pretty set against doing it. I do hope that if I'm dilated enough they will give me the option but I've spoken with the doctor and this is what we've agreed on.

Quoting ShowMustGoOn86: Why are you an automatic c section? Even with a prior section, a VBAC is still safer than another major surgery.

The danger with eating is aspiration if you throw up.
aidensmom0407
by Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:46 PM
My OB did say that the chances of it happening are low, BUT that if it does it can be very bad which freaked me out too. I did ask him for that option at my first appoinent. Plus, it's been 5 years since my first so I don't see it being that risky, then again, not a doctor.

Quoting mama232011: Oh I thought that was rare like 2% thanks for the info

mama232011
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm pretty sure there is a higher chance of complications from c sections no?

Quoting aidensmom0407: My OB did say that the chances of it happening are low, BUT that if it does it can be very bad which freaked me out too. I did ask him for that option at my first appoinent. Plus, it's been 5 years since my first so I don't see it being that risky, then again, not a doctor.

Quoting mama232011: Oh I thought that was rare like 2% thanks for the info

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)