Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Underweight during pregnancy?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:24 AM
  • 12 Replies
I've always been underweight. When I manage to put on a couple pounds, it's hard to keep it. I'm now pregnant (about 17 weeks) with my first child and I've only gained 3 pounds. My doctor has helped me create a meal plan, but between morning sickness and school, it's been easier said than done. I'm really worried about effecting my baby.

Has anyone else had this issue? Was your baby healthy? If you were able to put on weight, how did you keep it on?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:23 AM
I wish. I gain weight just looking at food while pregnant. Has your doctor given you anything to help with the morning sickness? Seems like that would be a good way to start. It would certainly make it easier to eat.
harperr-131
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:14 AM
No, she told me that having small, frequent meals like we planned should help, anyway. But it's been difficult to fit six meals and three snacks into my day.
I'll ask about it at my next appointment, though.

Quoting shadow_lark: I wish. I gain weight just looking at food while pregnant. Has your doctor given you anything to help with the morning sickness? Seems like that would be a good way to start. It would certainly make it easier to eat.
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:22 AM
I had to get meds. Before I had it I could only eat like 5 foods. Just the thought of anything else made me want to vomit.

Quoting harperr-131: No, she told me that having small, frequent meals like we planned should help, anyway. But it's been difficult to fit six meals and three snacks into my day.

Quoting shadow_lark: I wish. I gain weight just looking at food while pregnant. Has your doctor given you anything to help with the morning sickness? Seems like that would be a good way to start. It would certainly make it easier to eat.
Niki722
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:39 PM
Maybe try protein shakes. My nurse told me out helps with morning sickness. Amd they are easier to fit it than a meal.
hmfassett
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:42 PM
I am 27 weeks pregnant and I've only gained 1lb 4 oz since I've been son so sick
mamatink7
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:49 PM

what about drinking or trying to drink ensure?? 

AngelLovingLife
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:35 PM
I had HG with my first. I ended up with a PICC line in and getting nutrition through that, even with meds I wasn't able to eat enough to stop the weight loss. When I delivered, I was only 1 lbs heavier than when I'd gotten pregnant. I'd lost nearly 30lbs and was considered underweight for the majority of my pregnancy. He was born early, at 36 weeks and was only 4lbs 10oz, but he was perfectly healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
InsanityMoon
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 2:39 AM
Ive lost 30 pounds and gained .2 ounces in 14 weeks, my doctor didn't even seem to care where as I have been freaking out.
a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:58 AM
I've been able to gain 5 lbs. And I'm 17w4d. That is thanks to having an overactive thyroid during the first trimester that was causing me all sorts of problems. My dr doesn't seem to be too concerned.

Nuts and crackers are easy things to keep with you.
CH1991
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 11:03 AM
My dr prescribed Ondansetron for the nausea/morning sickness! It works REALLY FAST! (Takes about 10 minutes to make me feel better) it's a dissolvable tablet. Ask your dr about it. The only downside is it makes me constipated but it take that over nausea any day!

Quoting harperr-131: No, she told me that having small, frequent meals like we planned should help, anyway. But it's been difficult to fit six meals and three snacks into my day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)