Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone traveled far during pregnancy?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:40 PM
  • 20 Replies
I'm moving almost a thousand miles away in about two weeks. My family is moving from Washington to California. I was just curious if anyone else has done a long road trip during early pregnancy? My 5 year old son is driving with us as well. So any helpful tips are appreciated as well. Tia :)
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oliveoil423
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:45 PM
How far along are you? I was in my 3rd trimester when I drove 13 hours to iowa and back to Ohio for a wedding. Trust me dh was trying to make it to iowa at midnight. But with me having to pee and dd 2 sleeping a d wanting out it was driving him up the wall lol. It was very uncomfortable.
StaciF
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:47 PM

i went to Ethiopia when I was 5 weeks pregnant with my third.  Safe travels for you!

Mamajustice92
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I was 4 and half months and moved from Ohio to cali. 3200 miles. We had stop to pee a lot, but it wasn't to bad on my opinion. I would swell from sitting long hours.

I'd say unfortunately you will have to stop every few hours to stretch your leg. I mean you don't have to but I'm sure it'd make it feel more comfy. Maybe try to stop at landmarks make it fun. My husband and I seen the words biggest wind chime seen the sign and took the detour

Good luck

It was an experience I'll never forget
anotherandree
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was 36 wks pregnant with my youngest, we drove from Indiana to Wisconsin (about 6 hours) because we were moving there just a week after he was born.  I'll admit that 6 hrs was a LOOOONG time to be that pregnant and in a car.  I made my husband stop for snacks (so I could stretch my legs at least once on the way up there and twice on the way back.

When I was pregnant with my oldest, we were living in England and I flew home when I was 25 wks pregnant.  It was a 10 hr flight but the flight attendants were wonderful and tried very hard to give me a seat with leg room, brought me TONS of water, and 1 even reminded me quite often to walk from the front of the plane to the back.  I felt pretty great the whole pregnancy so the flight wasn't a big deal.

Mommyofryry
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:07 PM
I'm almost 5 weeks so very early. I couldn't imagine being that pregnant traveling. Yikes lol. I get car sick being in the car for an hour lol. We want to leave at night drive til we can't handle it anymore but idk if it will happen lol.

Quoting oliveoil423: How far along are you? I was in my 3rd trimester when I drove 13 hours to iowa and back to Ohio for a wedding. Trust me dh was trying to make it to iowa at midnight. But with me having to pee and dd 2 sleeping a d wanting out it was driving him up the wall lol. It was very uncomfortable.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
You should be fine. Just take lots breaks.

Good luck with your move!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:11 PM
I did Utah to Illinois and back when I was about 24 weeks and Utah to Florida and back when I was about 28 weeks.
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:13 PM
How are you traveling? Early in my pregnancy, I took a 9 hour road trip for a herding competition with my bosses wife, my 2 kids, her grandson, 3 of my dogs, and 2 of her dogs. It was a great trip except for the car ride. I was sick the whole way and I had a 40lb border collie in my lap the whole way because Shadow doesn't play well with others.
real_mom_of_713
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:15 PM
I was 36 weeks riding to alabama from pasdena texas. Had her two weeks after i came home
Mommyofryry
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:15 PM
That would be fun. And car :/ I'm so nervous. Hate car rides lol.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote: How are you traveling? Early in my pregnancy, I took a 9 hour road trip for a herding competition with my bosses wife, my 2 kids, her grandson, 3 of my dogs, and 2 of her dogs. It was a great trip except for the car ride. I was sick the whole way and I had a 40lb border collie in my lap the whole way because Shadow doesn't play well with others.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)