Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Born in the Wild...have you seen it??

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 5:09 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

Was anyone as flippin irritated as I was watching it!! Where do I start (Season 1 Episode 1 ) She mentions being a midwife. They mentin multiple times how sterile a hospital is. (BS a hospital is FULL of so many nasty germs) Then she goes into labor and she is just screaming and screaming. I am like...wow shut up. Screaming is not helping you, nor does it ease the pain. Then she keeps saying something is wrong. (No its not, your in labor, in an enviroment you are not fully comfortable with. Your are freaking out and shoulding be) Then she continues to stay on her back even though she keeps saying how the baby has to hurry up and come out. (Umm if the baby needs to come out, THINK, get off your damn back, stand, squat, get on your hands and knees. Use gravity to assist) Then her Husband says "Baby is posterior" and continues on to say how uncommon it is to successfully vaginally birth a posterior baby and how in a hospital it would mean interventions, c-sections, etc. (OMG BS again, Women have posterior babies vaginally in a hospital all the time as well as at home. Posterior is not horrible. All it means is baby isn't coming out in the best position. It normally means a stronger harder labor and delivery, and a bit more difficult pushing stage. NONE of which is a bad thing. Nor does it mean an automatic c-section) The entire show I felt was made to scare women into hospital births by giving false information and show HORRIFIC births. I encourage women to watch youtube videos on honest, real, laid back, relaxed deliveries. Women who deliver at their home, where they are comfortable, are able to have very successful safe births. My mom was so excited for me to see this and I bitched all the way through it. It was worse then the old Birth Stories that used to come on TLC. I am all for shows that share homebirthing, but they need to be real, legit, with true information. Not just another way to scare women into believing their bodies are incapable of delivering a baby, or that it is a serious medical condition as opposed to what it is....labor and delivery!! 

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Utt
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:00 PM
I haven't seen it but I can vouch for posterior. I had my first in the hospital and he ended up being posterior. I was in labor for 18 hours (got the epidural at 7cm, I feel like my labor would have been shorter had I not done that) I pushed for an hour and a half and my midwife tried a few different things like rolling me to my side and had me grab the ends of and towel to help me push harder. I had him vaginally with one first degree tear. My husband was shocked when his son came out smiling at him! Haha!
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My second son was also posterior. Born vaginally. It was my longest, strongest labor. But posterior babies aren't uncommon. No are they a huge scary issue! Thanks for sharing hun! 

Quoting Mrs.Utt: I haven't seen it but I can vouch for posterior. I had my first in the hospital and he ended up being posterior. I was in labor for 18 hours (got the epidural at 7cm, I feel like my labor would have been shorter had I not done that) I pushed for an hour and a half and my midwife tried a few different things like rolling me to my side and had me grab the ends of and towel to help me push harder. I had him vaginally with one first degree tear. My husband was shocked when his son came out smiling at him! Haha!

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 1:20 AM
Not everyone can deliver at home...

But I do agree, TV shows shouldn't be showcasing idiots for the purpose of making something natural seem like a terrifying battle for life when in most cases its not.
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 6:08 AM

Yea and my arguement with it isn't that everyone should deliver at home, its just how they portrayed homebirth. And the idiots who claimed to be educated about homebirths who seemed to advocate more so for a hospital birth, and kept saying how dangerous a homebirth was in compairson. I am thinking ok now that is wrong. To have a homebirth but thing/feel that it is more risky then a hospital birth is just wrong. So your knowingly putting your child at risk. As opposed to truly feeling its safe and in the best interest of your child. See for me personally a hospital feels risky and unsafe to me. So my labors there are much longer, scarier, harder, etc. Where as I feel completely safe at home. But I know the facts. I just was really annoyed with how they portrayed it as so unsafe compaired to the safe hospital where they do unnessesary inductions and c-sections at an alarming rate!! And where more women die.

Quoting shadow_lark: Not everyone can deliver at home... But I do agree, TV shows shouldn't be showcasing idiots for the purpose of making something natural seem like a terrifying battle for life when in most cases its not.

xexpectingxmomx
by Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't watched it but I have seen commercials for it and even in those they make it seem like it is a really bad idea to give birth anywhere but in a hospital. Now, I will be giving birth in hospital, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a home birth. I do, however, think giving birth out in the middle of the woods on purpose is a bit nuts, lol, but all I can think of is mosquitoes, gnats, ants, etc., being a major nuisance, lol.

tiffluv81
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 1:56 PM

That would scare the shit out of me it I watched it. Just reading this gets me nervous..

VivaciousFaith
by on Mar. 5, 2015 at 2:02 PM
I couldn't stand to even watch the full episode. I had a homebirth with my second. My kid was 9 lbs 9 oz, had a shoulder dystocia, was born posterior and needed resuscitation. I pushed him out standing up and caught him myself.
HazelBug
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Adding this to the list of things not to bother watching. I was actually pretty loud during labor. My Husband said I was roaring. I didn't know it was possible to make that much sound! And it was quite a bit painful. But birthing at home with my Husband was pretty awesome. I'm so glad I didn't deal with my local hospital when I was giving birth. The do continuous fetal monitoring and have no options for intermittent monitoring. I was moving around to much to be strapped to stuff. I think labor is a very personal thing. Every woman needs to weigh her desires for her labor with her personal risk while birthing.
rachel216
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Never seen it but ive seen the previews. Personally i think i would freak out during a home birth rather then giving birth in a hospital. But home births are pretty safe...theyre just not for me.
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Haha when I was preggo with my last we went to our beach house in NC where they don't allow homebirths. I was 36 wks contracting often. I joked if I went into labor I would just deliver on the beach. It would make for great fishing because I could toss the placenta out and chum for sharks HAHA. It was a going joke, but honestly the thought of giving birth on the beach with all that sand I was like NO WAY. I would have sand falling out of me for the next 10 yrs LOL 

I watched a birthing video of a lady who delivered at the river. It was beautful but she was on hard rocks. I was like screw that!

And then this lady from the Born in the Wild had a perfectly good house to deliver in, yet wanted to deliver in a falling down shack with tons of mosquitos. You can tell people go over and beyond to make it look like a dumb scary expereince. It just makes homebirthers look like we are risking our children's lives. When we feel we are actually keepig them safe. Needless to say I will probably avoid the show. It may put me into premature labor screaming at the tv LOL 

Quoting xexpectingxmomx:

I haven't watched it but I have seen commercials for it and even in those they make it seem like it is a really bad idea to give birth anywhere but in a hospital. Now, I will be giving birth in hospital, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a home birth. I do, however, think giving birth out in the middle of the woods on purpose is a bit nuts, lol, but all I can think of is mosquitoes, gnats, ants, etc., being a major nuisance, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)