Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Zofran. take it or not to take it?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:30 PM
  • 19 Replies
My doctor gave me Zofran for morning sickness. I've heard it's not safe. Has anyone took this drug and have a healthy baby?
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:36 PM

LOL Of course women have taken it an had healthy babies. So had alcholic mothers, or drug addicted mothers. 

Plenty of moms take it, like so many other drugs throughout there pregnancy and delivery that a Dr says is safe. You just have to do your research and decide what is safe for you!

10 yrs ago I was prescribed Zofran for severe sickness. At that time I did research and saw that there was a considerable amount of info to suggest it was unsafe, many of which was even known and in the informational packets. I decided not to take it! I was prescribed it again with my 3rd and refused then as well. I wasn't shocked with the new studies they have put out, the research has been out there for years. The ER dr tried to prescibe it this time for me but I just told him not to bother. I just do the best I can to get by. Not easy, but safer (in most cases) 

Anyway don't take my word for it, or a mom who says "yes I have taken it with each pregnancy and all my kids are fine" because #1 just because theirs is fine doesn't mean yours will be and #2 there are effects that don't show up unti years after delivery. Do your own research. Decide what you think is best. And make your decision! 

Good Luck hun, hope you feel better! 

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:45 PM
I would weigh the risks and benefits and go from there. I know there's a lot of women who would literally die without it, so that's not helpful to the pregnancy either.
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:47 PM
It did nothing for me so I was prescribed something stronger.....
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:48 PM
If you need it, then take it. If you can get by without taking it, don't take it. There are risks, though they're low. There is another nausea medicine that is proven safe, diclegis, have you tried that?

I've taken it with my son and with this pregnancy, but not very long because it doesn't work for me. It didn't stop or even decrease my nausea and vomiting. I have HG, so I have to be on medications and if it worked, I would be taking it regularly, simply because for me, the benefits greatly outweigh the risks and not treating my condition is much more dangerous to me and the babies than any of the medication side effects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:54 PM

I took it while pregnant with my dd. She is very healthy :-). I was prescribed it for this pregnancy as well but I only take it when I really feel I need it. I usually just try to settle my stomache first by eating frequent small meals or crackers.

by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:26 PM
Ive taken it with all 4 pregnancies for entire time around clock due to hyperemisis and 3 are perfect. Still pregnant with 4th but i have faith in it.
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:32 PM
I've had to take it due to severe hyperemesis. It was either take meds and survive, or not take meds and risk organ failure, miscarriage, or death.

If you're truly unwell and nothing else works, try the Zofran. I took it for most of my pregnancy with my 2 year old and she is 100% healthy and brilliant. I'm taking it again this time because I was rapidly losing weight and having kidney problems due to dehydration.
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Definitely wouldn't chance it! You can buy wrist bands for nausea that I've heard great things about! I just dealt with mine until it went away..

by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:56 PM
Took it with my son the whole pregnancy. He is 10 and fine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 11:14 PM

DD2 has a cleft palate that we believe is due to zofran's only a cleft of the soft palate, and wasn't caught until she was 5 days old, and was caught by me (despite all of the doctors and nurses who were in her mouth because we were having bfing issues). That being said, I believe I also took it with DS and he's fine. My dr and I spoke about this at my last appointment because of everything popping up with zofran now...zofran was never really approved for pregnant women to use. It was created for cancer patients undergoing chemo. 

The controversial use of Zofran by pregnant women has been the subject of several studies in the last decade. While initial studies indicated Zofran did not harm fetuses, later studies showed a significant risk increase for birth defects. One study detected a twofold increase in congenital heart defects associated with ondansetron during the first trimester of pregnancy.  Yet another study noted, “ a 2-fold increased risk for cleft palate associated with ondansetron [Zofran] taken…in the first trimester of pregnancy.”

Cleft palate does not run in either side of DD2's family (mine or DH's). That being said, it could have very well been a folic acid deficiency in the beginning of pregnancy...however, I took zofran throughout my whole pregnancy with her due to HG. 

The information my doctor showed me at my last appointment (which is the updated recommendations for administering) is now saying that zofran should only be used in extreme cases of HG in the first trimester. If you can get by without it, it's probably for the best. Phenergan is the other anti-nausea med that my dr recommended to me if we do have another baby...the down side to it is that it makes you drowsy, which is why she never prescribed it to me in the first place, because I was working at the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)