Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**UPDATE**5w5d No baby (small black hole) showing on Trans-vaginal US... Please help! **UPDATE**

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:43 PM
  • 28 Replies

Hi all! According to my last period I would be 5 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I saw my midwife today, the pregnancy test was positive, just like at home, but when she went to do a trans-vaginal ultra sound she couldnt find the sac. This is my 4th, but the first time this has happened. She sent me for my HCG quantitative and I have to repeat it in 48hrs. Im just wondering if this is common or has happened to anyone else? She said there are one of three things that could be going on. 1. its too early to see 2. its not a viable pregnancy 3. the pregnancy is ectopic. 

Im at a loss for words and have been crying on and off all day. Im not sure what to do or think. Please help if you can. Thank you!

Hey ladies! Here is an update from yesterday.

I went to the ER in the morning because I was having horrible sharp pain on my right side, and severe back pain. I could barely walk. 

They did another trans-vaginal ultrasound. The pregnancy IS in my uterus, she saw the yolk sac, measured me at 5w6d, and got a fetal pole of 77bpm. 

My HCg levels on Friday were 1556, yesterday they were 6279, I will repeat tomorrow. 

They are concerned with the rate of the fetal pole being so low. They sent me home with pain meds and told me to expect a miscarriage. :( 

The research I have read says that at about 5 weeks a fetal pole is the same as the mothers heart rate. They had given me morphine for the pain which slowed my heart rate down.. I am wondering if this is why it was 77. Because on my monitor it was running between 73-77.

In my scan results it also said I have a subchorionic hemorrhage. Not sure what to think of that. But I have had no bleeding, just cramping.. 

Have any of you ladies experienced this? Do you remember what your fetal pole was at around the same gestation? 

Again thanks for all of your help! 

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamakristena210
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
You may have ovulated late and just be too early. Good luck!
mommy2bRN007
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Thanks this is what I am hoping.. But am now super paranoid about having an ectopic pregnancy.

Nicole_2007
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:05 PM
I wouldn't worry yet. They couldn't see anything with me till almost 8 weeks and they couldn't see anything transvaginal so I had to go and have a regular ultrasound
Kcgriffin14
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:24 PM
I'm pretty sure 5 weeks is just really early too see..I'm sure it'll be fine. Sending prayers
mommy2bRN007
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:26 PM

Thanks ladies! I appreciate your help!

kelly617
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Very common
its very possible you ovulated later than you thought and/or you implanted late
If you're off by even a few days it makes a BIG difference in the beginning.

I would try not to worry and chances are she'll do a recheck in a few days and you'll suddenly see a little bean with a flicker :)

I did have this happen with my first 2 pregnancies...because I don't ovulate on cd14 my days were off....so they ended up changing my due dates too..one was off by 10 days and other was 8 days!!! So a LOT

SamKSanders
by Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 2:00 AM
2 moms liked this
With my now 14 month old I went in at 6 weeks and they saw a black hole also. Went in just a week later at 7 weeks and there he was! That's pretty early to expect to see anything! GL hun. ((Hugs))
MamaRoss87
by Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this

same thing happened to me hun and everything ended up ok hugs and prayers

mommy2bRN007
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 8:39 AM
Thank you ladies!! I feel so much better about it, now.
MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Try not to stress until you're further along and they can't find anything.  I've had early ultrasounds turn up nothing & it's gone both ways.

Read our weekly pregnancy journal for...
27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 3334 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | BIRTH
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)