Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Delayed Cord Clamping

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:05 PM
  • 28 Replies

For it? Against it? 

Have you done it? Do you feel it benefitted your child? 

Plan to do it this time? 

Has your care provider offered an opinion on the topic? 

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyofryry
by Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 2:11 AM
I recently just heard about this, and I'm gonna talk to my doctor, but either way I think I'm gonna delay the cord clamping.
__JuLilo
by Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 9:01 AM
I wanted to do this, but I don't think I'll have that option since my baby is coming no later than 36 weeks. I have an appt on the 23rd and we will go over everything then I'm guessing since I'll be approx. 2 weeks from delivery at that point.
browncoat
by on Apr. 11, 2015 at 10:21 AM

My understanding is that there is a benefit when the infant is premature, but not when they are term. 

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Logically, there would be a benefit, period.  Not just in preterm infants.  

I truly wonder why this isn't a more widespread practice.  

Quoting browncoat:

My understanding is that there is a benefit when the infant is premature, but not when they are term. 

browncoat
by on Apr. 11, 2015 at 11:37 AM

No, I'm not guessing. I'm saying that in the studies they have done, they haven found benefit for preterm infants but not so much so in term infants.

There's a lot in medicine that seems intuitive that isn't. 

Quoting anxiousschk:

Logically, there would be a benefit, period.  Not just in preterm infants.  

I truly wonder why this isn't a more widespread practice.  

Quoting browncoat:

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My OB always did this automatically. She always delivered the baby, handed them straight to me without messing with the cord, and let us be for a bit.

stormie1985
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 12:12 PM
We discussed this with my OB when I preg with my son. Very limuted benefits for term babies. We ended up deciding against it bc if I remember correctly it heightens the risk of jaundice.
princess_peach
by Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 12:22 PM
2 moms liked this

The midwife group I went to with my third baby delays cord clamping for nearly all babies in their practice because the evidence shows it is SO much better for the baby. If the cord is left alone, the placenta is still pumping blood to the baby. As much as 1/3 of the total blood can still be in the cord at birth, so delaying clamping allows baby to get more of that! This is how baby has been getting oxygen and nutrients for the entire pregnancy, waiting even just a couple minutes to clamp helps baby acclimate and get used to breathing in air. I did this with 2 of my 3 and recommend all of my doula clients to at least consider it.

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Yeah, I do realize that evidence on benefits in term babies is still inconclusive.  

(Per ACOG)

However, the anecdotal evidence among my friends (again, anecdotal) is that babies who didn't have delayed clamping wound up with jaundice more often than those with the delay.  

I plan to delay this time and we will see what happens.  We did last time as well, but not with my first. 

Quoting princess_peach:

The midwife group I went to with my third baby delays cord clamping for nearly all babies in their practice because the evidence shows it is SO much better for the baby. If the cord is left alone, the placenta is still pumping blood to the baby. As much as 1/3 of the total blood can still be in the cord at birth, so delaying clamping allows baby to get more of that! This is how baby has been getting oxygen and nutrients for the entire pregnancy, waiting even just a couple minutes to clamp helps baby acclimate and get used to breathing in air. I did this with 2 of my 3 and recommend all of my doula clients to at least consider it.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 12:51 PM

For it, with my first and third we did. Yes, there are benefits to it. With my second I didn't have an options. They weren't sure if she pooped in uterus. So as soon as she was born she had to go to the NICU people to be checked. All future babies will. Unless there is a reason we can't.

When we had our first with a home birthing midwife. She talked about it  and showed us reason why to. So with my first and third there was no questions about it. They knew we would.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)