Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you consider a DIY home birth?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:17 AM
  • 35 Replies

Record Number of Moms Are Giving Birth at Home … Without Help

mom home birth baby

For moms-to-be considering a home birth, there's good news: You're definitely not alone. New research shows that unsupervised home births are on the rise, and have increased by 79 percent in the United States in the past eight years.

According to new research that will be presented at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' annual meeting this week, there were 5,000 reported unsupervised births in 2007, and more than 8,800 in 2012. That increase may seem small, but it's concerning, say doctors.

Between 2007 and 2012, there were more than 24 million new babies born. The study shows that approximately 141,000 were home births. On top of that, 30 percent of those home births were unsupervised by professionals.

These "Do-It-Yourself" births have no midwife, physician, or doctor present, and were determined by counting the birth certificates of newborns that were signed solely by their parents.

More from The Stir: 16 Things Not to Say to a Mom Planning a Home Birth

And there are several worthy trends. The study shows that women who already had children were more likely to choose a home birth for their second (and subsequent) children. In fact, there was an 82 percent increase in home birth for women who already had children. But there was also an increase in first-time moms choosing home births, for a total growth of about 65 percent.

Though doctors were unable to definitively determine why women chose these home births (maybe they weren't planned, a mom didn't have time to arrive at a hospital, or it was in a state that didn't legally recognize midwives), the numbers don't lie. 

Home births are on the rise, and more and more moms are bucking the idea of hospital births in favor of a do-it-yourself delivery. 

Would you consider a DIY home birth?

by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Butterfly_xo
by Taylor Lynn on May. 5, 2015 at 10:39 AM
No, I would never consider a DIY home birth.
SkellyBird
by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Hell... No.
zdtmok
by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:56 AM
Unsupervised, no. Though I did have one, my first delivery was an unplanned, unassisted home birth. I've had two assisted homebirths.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:45 PM

No...If I didn't have complications I would have a home birth but I would always have a midwife there

Gabeys_Mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:47 PM
Nope. All three of my kids passed meconium in the womb ranging from severe (4 days in the NICU) to mild. They all required a NICU doctor to be in attendance & needed assistance clearning out their airway. Too risky in my opinion.
amberNewman0213
by on May. 5, 2015 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
U wish I could give birth at home. I just imagine how relaxing it must be to not be in hospital and have nurses pricking and poking you till being released. Just jump right into being able to bond with baby without being interupted.
MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:57 PM

My last birth was unassisted and out of hospital, but we'd planned on being attended by a midwife.  It was a wonderful experience & I'd have no issues doing it again if circumstances put us there.

Read our weekly pregnancy journal for...
27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 3334 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | BIRTH

eChard
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:01 PM
I would if I didn't almost lose my son during childbirth. I'll go to the hospital. I think a home birth is a beautiful thing but not for me after my last experience :'(
rsmom2511
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 3:15 PM
I think that even the healthiest mom having the greatest pregnancy can still run into danger at the last minute and I would never want to risk that for the sake of my own personal comfort. My baby's needs come before mine and although a hospital might not be the ideal environment for many women, at the end of the day they have everything there should things go south. You have to put your babies medical situation above your own personal comfort needs…
suomynona_amam
by on May. 5, 2015 at 3:18 PM
Not intentionally, but I was prepared to do it myself just in case it happened that way.
When I was expecting my first I bought a few things so that I could have cut the cord and cleaned the kid off if need be. I had all three in the hospital though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)