Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone measure "bigger" because it "wasn't your first child"?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 7:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

So this baby was a complete surprise. I have extremely irregular cycles and all 4 of my kids were conceived with fertility treatments. So this baby is a whole new ball game. lol Well I went for my first prenatal appt today. I know "all pregnancies are different" but with mine the symptoms in the beginning were all basically the same (for both sexes) and around the same time frame. Going off of symptoms and the fact that the pregnancy test stick was so faint the first time I took it I was guessing I was around 6 weeks. Well the dr said my uterus feels about 10 weeks. I go for an ultrasound tomorrow but the dr mentioned that I could just be measuring big because this isn't my first baby. Has anyone else measured "bigger" early on just because it wasn't your first?  I know I could be 10 weeks and that would be awesome I'm just curious if anyone actually did measure farthur along than they were.   :)

by on May. 5, 2015 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:59 PM

I measured bigger with all mine. (2-5 weeks) My first two it was extra water I carried and my third I was the position she was in. She was all out front.

mamakristena210
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:36 PM
With my first i measurd 12 week when only 8. N then this last one measurd 6 weeks ahead for bit
Blackburn3
by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:45 PM
I measured big with my last baby, I didn't even find out I was pregnant till I was 17 weeks due to having an IUD and BF so thinking I was pregnant last thing we ever thought. Anyway they measured a month ahead and even two ultra sounds showed he was measuring bigger even the day before my scheduled c-section. Because when Logan was born we knew instantly he was a preemie and no where near weighed 8 pounds. He was only 33 weeks and weighed only 4 pounds 2 oz. he was in the NICU for a month due to him having a stroke. Not telling you to scare you but I wished I would have had a comprehensive ultrasound with a fetal Dr. They specialize looking closer to all measurements and organs and head measure more that just a ultrasound tech. Especially if you are not sure when or how far along you are. Good luck op
Cafe Steph
by on May. 6, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Yes, I measured bigger with #2. One doc acted like I was going to deliver a monster, lol, but my usual doc just said it's from getting pregnant again so soon after having my first (they're 11mos apart), so I'd naturally measure bigger. He also said that's more likely to be the case in women who've had a few kids already, too. I guess the idea is things are stretchier in subsequent pregnancies so you show sooner and measure bigger because of it? IDK, but my 2nd was actually smaller than my 1st - though she was also born on time instead of almost 2wks late. ;)

JanieJ967
by on May. 6, 2015 at 1:04 PM

My measurements fluctuated.   No 1 was measuring huge for awhile, then, had some normal measurements, and was a moose when he was born.  No.2 had some measurements larger than no 1, but weighed a half pound less at birth. No real rhyme or reason to it.

They were only 14 months apart.  I just wonder if it wasn't the way that no. 2 was positioned that made me measure bigger. 

Khooks
by Jessica on May. 6, 2015 at 2:46 PM
How was the ultrasound?
mommyofone123
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM

The sac is measuring a little less than 6 weeks. (Which is EXACTLY what I thought) the tech I had is super awesome. I've actually had her with all my pregnancies and she was like "I know they say 10-12 but how many weeks do you think?" and I told her 5-6 and when she looked she was like "Yep you're totally right!" So now I'm waiting on the dr to look at blood test and lab work and get back to me to see what to do next. The tech thinks they'll do another ultrasound in a few weeks. So I guess now we wait.   lol 

Quoting Khooks: How was the ultrasound?

Armymom134
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 8:04 PM
Yep, at my last appointment I was 27 weeks and measured 33. This is my 5th baby though so I'm not surprised.
lovely.mess
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 10:25 PM

I have not been measure yet but I know i'm bigger now than I was with my first 2 at this time.

kelly617
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2015 at 10:39 PM

yep...I measured bigger with my 2nd and again with my 3rd...your body has a memory of sorts and the closer your kids are together the faster your body "remembers" pregnancy and gets into the swing of things

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)