Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mirena

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:44 AM
  • 19 Replies
Does anyone here have the Mirena IUD or had it in the past? I'm getting one placed tomorrow and wanted to know thoughts and opinions. In my research the reviews seem mixed but a lot more good then bad. Thanks in advance!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormie1985
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:51 AM
I had Mirena and LOVED IT about 8 years ago. I had it taken out bc I wanted another baby... and when I tried to get bc again the base OBs refused to put it back in and put the matchstick in the arm in instead. Mirena is the ONLY bc that didnt make me FEEL insane and i didn't gain weight.
AngelBabe10
by New Member on May. 7, 2015 at 12:42 PM
I had it and hated it. My body rejected it and from what my OB said my body thought it was going through pregnancy and menopause. I had both symptoms at the same time and it was horrible. Ended up in the hospital BC the Dr thought I had a heart attack and I am 19.
Sleepymom114
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 7:11 AM

Yes I had it. I loved it. No issues. Removal was nothing. Putting it in did hurt a little. I would get it again. 

fontainesgirl91
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 7:18 AM
I had endometriosis and I have frequent uti s and I'm kind of sensitive down there plus my mom had horrible side effects so I won't be trying it .. we will be trying the implanon
calcalmommy
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 7:49 AM
I have one friend who loves it and another who got an infection from placement, and hates it.
Bobbie1227
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 8:06 AM

I had Mirena for 3.5 years and it was great though due to SO's size I did have to have the "strings" trimmed up as short as they could. Then seemingly overnight things turned bad. Sex became excrutiatingly painful. After a month of tests and scans and still not being able to find a problem, I had it removed. Immediate relief. We decided to start trying for a baby at this time since the opportunity came up. We ended up miscarrying. I have heard this is very common with conception after Mirena removal. We were able to conceive again and I am now 35 weeks with our son. As much as I liked it I will not be going back to this form of birth control after this pregnancy.

And just an fyi, if your SO is on the larger side, you may run into more problems with painful sex and breakthrough bleeding. The doctor said that is the only thing she could attribute the pain to. That sex had caused an irritation that could not heal.

Khooks
by Jessica on May. 8, 2015 at 8:24 AM
My dh is not overly gifted and after having mirena and bleeding non stop for like 3mo it evened out for a while still had my period but it was light. Then sex became excruciating. Doctors couldn't find anything wrong then I developed anxiety and a slew of other things which I later found out are all symptoms of hormonal imbalance. Getting it removed helped and The sex pain went away but the imbalance stayed I gained 40lbs and it took over two years and a loss to get pregnant again.

Quoting Bobbie1227:

I had Mirena for 3.5 years and it was great though due to SO's size I did have to have the "strings" trimmed up as short as they could. Then seemingly overnight things turned bad. Sex became excrutiatingly painful. After a month of tests and scans and still not being able to find a problem, I had it removed. Immediate relief. We decided to start trying for a baby at this time since the opportunity came up. We ended up miscarrying. I have heard this is very common with conception after Mirena removal. We were able to conceive again and I am now 35 weeks with our son. As much as I liked it I will not be going back to this form of birth control after this pregnancy.

And just an fyi, if your SO is on the larger side, you may run into more problems with painful sex and breakthrough bleeding. The doctor said that is the only thing she could attribute the pain to. That sex had caused an irritation that could not heal.

PortlandJane
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 8:41 AM

I loved my IUD, had it for 3 years.  I had a rather tramatic placement- it was at planned parenthood and they used me as a teaching case.  The doctor's hands were shaking and she hit the side of my uterus, twice!  They say there are significantly less issues for women who have had children, I had not.  I did have a month with mild-moderate cramping and pretty consistant spotting to bleeding, but after that cleared up things went smoothly.  When I had it removed I had moderate cramping for about a week with bleeding for about a month.  

But DURING, I did have pretty regular periods.  They were only heavy enough for a tampon like twice.  And I was one of those women who had CRAZY heavy periods before.  I never had a pregnancy scare, which was wonderful!  The only issue I had was that when you get a yeast infection or vaginosis, you feel it like cramps.  I normally have a little more bacteria than yeast and that caused a few issues.  

Wow, this sounds like I had a bad experience!  I didn't!  I really enjoyed having it as birth control!  I just wish I'd had someone to tell me these things before because I had TONS of questions over time and no one to answer them.

1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences with it

MistyMoo
by on May. 8, 2015 at 10:55 AM
I hated it. I had it for a year and a half because I kept getting told my body was adjusting and my periods got super, super heavy and I'd be bleeding for most of the month 2 weeks on, 1 week off.. It was bad. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)