Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm sad that I'm not getting a baby shower.

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM
  • 11 Replies
I know that sounds selfish, but it's true. I honestly don't care about the gifts, I just want the celebration of the baby. With my first born, I was 20 when I had him. My family was very not happy. My step mom even tried to convince me to abort, saying "I could always have another one". (We stopped talking to her for a few months). I didn't get one then, although my aunt made me some blankets and gave them to me at the hospital. Bd family was excited but no one gets along with anyone.

This time I will be 30 when baby is born. (And this baby has a different dad) My mom and her side of the family are happy and excited. They even said that if they lived in state they would throw me one. My dad and stepmom are more "well, she's and adult but we are not thrilled". My boyfriends family are excited and his mom wants to throw me one, but she has really bad anxiety and has trouble with thanksgiving (and that's just her, fil, bil, me and bf) so my bf told me that it isn't going to happen. (I am very happy that she wants to, even if it doesn't happen)

So yeah. I'm not going to be getting one. Yes, I will get over it. I got over it before. I know it's self centered and whatever, but I still want one.
by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Del672
by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:16 PM

I hope someone throws you a celebration get to gether after you are out of hospital.  Every birth deserves that :))

ttcishardtodo
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:18 PM
Have a cookout then and say it's a Co ed celebration party, gifts are welcome but not necessary. It's just time to celebrate with friends and family.. if YOU throw it, they will probably come.
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never had a baby shower, and never really wanted one, but with my last pregnancy we went out to a nice celebration dinner. Maybe plan something like that?

kgbm13
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Throw yourself one.  Seriously.  We did because no one would and true colors showed when it came to the date for those that said they would come if we had one.

My side my mother said we don't believe in showers, an aunt said we don't do showers before baby comes and our generation won't come.  My mother when she found out the date was pissed we did it to exclude her and why didn't we change the date or ask for her help.  Let's see don't believe in showers and told me I would loose my first baby never excited, yes I lost thwt baby eventually.  And this time hadn't talked of my daughter once.  His side asked why we were doing it that my mother or sister should or friends.  Well most friends are low income or a distance away so don't expect that either.

24 estimated to come by rsvp...three people said they couldn't and of those rsvps only 9 came including his two daughters, only a friend and her daughter, his side a friend and spouse his mom, sister and brother.

so f them all and throw your own.  By the way I'm 37 with first live baby due in 5 wks or less now.

Free-Bird
by on May. 7, 2015 at 3:34 PM
Aww I'm sorry :( You & your husband should start planning a Welcome Baby party for after your little one is born! Get some invitations, decorations, cake and cute outfits for you & baby to wear then everyone can come and meet him/her :)
Butterfly_xo
by Taylor Lynn on May. 7, 2015 at 3:36 PM
I know how you feel. We had moved to Seattle in 2013 because my dad had convinced us that we would love it out there. We were there for a little over a year and barely saw my father, and mind you, he was the only family out there. All of our family was in NY. I got pregnant with our second child, before him I had a miscarriage, and my father seemed really excited for us- especially after seeing me in the hospital a few months prior with the miscarriage. But like I said, we barely saw him. His gf offered to throw us a baby shower but never did. He knew we didn't know anybody out there, besides a few co workers. It was tough. We didn't get any gifts (I know it's not about that, but it would have been nice for anyone to show that they even cared.) No one came to visit us in the hospital after he was born. My dad came to visit us once we were discharged. We moved back to the east coast and haven't looked back since. Sometimes, you just have to take care of yourself. It sucks but you can't force anyone to feel the same way as you do.
MelDyann
by New Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:37 PM
Can any of your friends host the shower?
todmom92
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 5:17 PM
Why not throw yourself one? You can decide what games are played and all that and invite friends and family to come not everyone can come but at least there will be a celebration!!
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't need a shower to celebrate baby. You celebrate baby when they are born. Have a Meet the baby gathering.

Stevensmomma
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 8:54 PM
You can do a sip and see after the baby is born and throw it yourself !!
I plan on doing one this is baby number three I don't need anything I have plenty and have bought what I needed but like the idea of a celebration so I am leaning towards a sip and see
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)