Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scared Crapless! over reacting?

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 4:41 AM
  • 14 Replies
I'm a high risk pregnancy due to risk of preterm labor, I'm 29 weeks along now. My doctor has me on monthly ultrasounds. He says everything is going good and baby is growing very well. But he also said that if I go into labor any time after 32weeks he'd just allow me to deliver. This sounds way way to early to me! I've already had one labor scare a few weeks ago. But isn't 32 weeks way to early not to at least try to stop my labor before delivering me? Has anyone had their babies born this early? Was your child healthy? How long did they/ you spend in the hospital? Any information would be helpful.
by on May. 17, 2015 at 4:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ttcishardtodo
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 5:50 AM
1 mom liked this
25 weeks is actually the earliest you can deliver with viability. So your baby may be in the nicu for a little while but if they can predict it they can give you a steroid shot to help pump up your baby's lungs, as underdeveloped lungs will probably be the biggest concern at 32 weeks. Good luck mama and I'm sure everything will be fine!
Sleepymom114
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 7:13 AM
My second was a 34 weeker he spent 10 days in nicu. First days he needed oxygen but not for long. Then he needed the lights for jaundice. Then he had to gain weight. That was 18 years ago so I am sure they got better stuff now. I did not get the steroid shot because there was not enough time. He really wanted out quick. Hope that gives you some idea.
FireVixen
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 7:45 AM
3 friends in the last 2 years have given birth at 32 weeks. All kids are totally fine Now. Nicu was required of course but no long term issues .34 and 36 are better options of course but 32 is very possible
Onamystic
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't help but put my two sense in :)  First off stressing out out will make it worse. Believe me I know it's difficult...I am personally at 32 weeks with my second pregnancy and my baby boy at home just turned 10 months old today...my point is getting pregnant so quickly before I healed all the way has caused me to have some major concerns of baby coming early even though it didn't happen with my last pregnancy because he was late and I am not high risk like you which is very scary but still the consistent pain ive been having and the contractions latly and not being able to literally do anything except struggle to take care of my son has me worried luckily I have a doc appointment on wednesday. Anyway, sorry for going off on my story.  Every pregnancy is different, every women is different, and every baby is different....so keep this in mind....I have heard stories of women who have had there babies at 32 weeks and  the baby was perfectly fine spent maybe a couple day in nicu but otheres that has not been the case and spent longer in the hospital.  I have done a lot of research and no matter what it's safest for the full term of pregnancy but for safety of lung development 37 weeks is best.  You have to remember too every doctor is different and everyone will tell you something different which I personally over time have found a little frustrating.  If it was me I would tell that doctor that I want the baby in there as long as possible because if there is no real threat to the baby being still in me then there is no reason for the baby to be born and he needs to try and stop the labor...the other thing I will say is try your damndest to not freak out or stress...you NEE TO REST...try and think of happy things, play with your baby and watch him/her move...lol not sure which him/her because you didn't mention...anyways, believe me I am not at high risk and my first pregnancy I was a nervous wreck but everything was fine and this second pregnancy has taken a MAJOR toll on me emotionally and physically and I am scared I will have him early but I have to keep telling myself stressing about it wont help and my baby boy needs me and this baby boy in me needs me to just try and kep calm no matter how difficult it is.  Blessed Be to you and yours  have faith in yourself and your baby...talk to the little one and say "not yet"

RIPCORD
by on May. 17, 2015 at 9:43 AM
Did you talk to your doctor about it when he said that? Baby has a 90% survival rate at 28 weeks so every week after that is even better.
a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
My 1st tried to come at 32 weeks. I was told rest and water.

2nd tried to come at 26 weeks and 35 weeks. Rest and water.

This one, contractions started at 24 weeks. Once again, rest and water.
I'm at risk for delivering early too. But both other babies made it to 39 weeks. You need to rest, stay hydrated (which can be a big factor of preterm labor)

If you deliver at 32 weeks (I am there right now), babe has a good chance of survival. Nicu stay may be long or short. Depends on baby.

Relax, rest and hydrate.
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Change OBs, yes 32 wks is to early and would stay increase risk to baby and the need for a stay in the NICU. Sounds like he is just tired of dealing with you, which is so wrong!! CHANGE OBS!

Also a daily supplement of Calcium/Magnesium can help greatly reduce contractions from preterm labor and may be a god save instead of dealing with the hospital everytime you have contractions! There are tincture such as false unicorn etc that can help as well!

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM

And set a goal to go the full 40, many women say "Oh atleast try to make it to 34 wks, or 36 wks" Your mind is a powerful thing and baby deserves to go the full 40!

texashempress
by New Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:34 AM
I did and he said he feels like it would be healthier for the baby to deliver instead of trying to stop my labor again and doing a cervical stitch. (I have a good piece of my cervix missing due to a previous surgery) I just don't see how delivering that early is better for my baby if there are still things we can do to give him a few more weeks to develop.

Quoting RIPCORD: Did you talk to your doctor about it when he said that? Baby has a 90% survival rate at 28 weeks so every week after that is even better.
cheergurl84
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 2:22 PM
I've never delivered that early, but did at 36 weeks. It was a nightmare. He spent a month in the NICU, first on tpn, then a feeding tube. He came home on oxygen and a monitor. He's almost 8 now and has more doctors and conditions than I can count. I wouldn't trade him for the world, but wonder if things would be different if he'd waiter just a little longer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)