Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Photographer/PIctures of the birth

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:41 PM
  • 21 Replies

First pregnancy, I had a C-section with a lot of complications.  We didn't even wind up getting the newborn hospital photos. 

Second pregnancy my doula offered to take pictures and I said no at first.  Then she pointed out, I could always delete them later.  I'm so glad I took her up on her offer.  

This time we actually hired a birth photographer.  It's likely our last baby and I really want the pictures of the time.  

So, what's your preference? No pictures at all? A family member with a camera? 

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:17 PM
My husband takes pictures after birth. Birth is pretty intimate to me and I've never wanted anyone else there, let alone a stranger photog. I've seen birth pics and they are beautiful, just not for me.
smorgan865
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:20 PM
They aren't allowed at my hospital. You can take pictures before the pushing starts, and after the baby is safely out completely and checked over.

They "strongly advise against" having professional photographers in the room with you at all.
HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:43 PM

I think DH took a picture of me in the hospital w/ #3, and I took one of him that night in the ??? IDR what the room is called, but my room for the 24 hours after delivery.  Other than that, I don't think we've done any pictures at the hospital and we didn't get the hospital photos either.  If we do anything this time, it will probably just be him/me taking pictures w/ our phone(s), or DD maybe.  We haven't even allowed my g-ma to take photos in the hospital.

JennPearce
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:16 PM

I've never had any pictures of the birth process. Just after baby arrives. I want some pictures this time during labor and delivery. I have considered hiring a birth photographer but I don't know who I would hire that I'd feel comfortable with. Might just ask a nurse this time.

miasmommy21407
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:28 PM
I like lots of pictures start to finish. My sister is a photographer and will take pictures for us this time.
Sassym0m24
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:35 PM
Gosh I am so superstitious of during birth photos..like it'll jinx something.

I love the idea of getting pro pictures done 2-3 days after though!

DreamJoyHope_R
by Ryan on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:43 PM
I don't know yet. I don't want a stranger there during labor and delivery, but we'll see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:11 PM

I've only done photos once, and it was my doula who did them.  I don't think I'd be ok with anyone else around for the birth (I prefer me, mother, and midwife only).  I really adore the ones that we got from my doula!

Have a signficant other that's away most of the time due to work?
Join me in HARDLY THERE, and meet other mothers who can relate.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:05 PM
I wish I had gotten more with my first. With my second and third. My sister and Doula took pictures.
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM

I strongly dislike a hospital telling me who I can and can't have at my birth -- or what I can and can't take pictures of.  

We're talking about my experience, my body and my child -- yeah, that would make me angry.  

I totally get how the pictures aren't for everyone, but a hospital making the choice?  Nah.  Not for me. 

Quoting smorgan865: They aren't allowed at my hospital. You can take pictures before the pushing starts, and after the baby is safely out completely and checked over. They "strongly advise against" having professional photographers in the room with you at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)