Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hopefully this helps

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:47 PM
  • 12 Replies
I've had super bad anxiety this pregnancy and I finally broke down today and ordered a doppler from eBay.
I had an appointment with my midwife today and apparently this appointment I had to take one of those test they give you for ppd and I scored an 11...which isn't good. She said I could come in weekly and do heart tones with a nurse but I figure buying one made more sense. I wanted one since the beginning of the pregnancy but being this is my last I talked myself out of it. Wish I would have just let myself buy it earlier, hopefully this helps the anxiety or its going to be a very long 13+weeks. It should be here next week some time.
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:52 PM

PPD would be depression, right?  I only ask because you reference the heart rate as well.  

Did you and your midwife discuss putting a plan in place following the birth or ways to work on anxiety reduction now?  

I'm happy she had you do the test and now it's known that you are a risk.  I had PPD with my first and it was no joke -- and even though I told my care providers beforehand that I was concerned because I was the poster child for risk factors, I didn't get the help I needed.  

Proud-mama-05
by Stacy on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:02 PM
Yes depression. This is like the 2nd or 3rd time I've taken it with this pregnancy (and my last 2). I thought it was odd since I only took it after pregnancy with my 1st 3. She gave me the option for a counselor if I feel I need it and weekly heart tones visits right now. We'll go from there I guess. I had ppd with my 2nd child so I know how bad it can be. I will definitely be more alert to any issues after baby arrives especially because of the issues I'm experiencing during pregnancy.

Quoting anxiousschk:

PPD would be depression, right?  I only ask because you reference the heart rate as well.  

Did you and your midwife discuss putting a plan in place following the birth or ways to work on anxiety reduction now?  

I'm happy she had you do the test and now it's known that you are a risk.  I had PPD with my first and it was no joke -- and even though I told my care providers beforehand that I was concerned because I was the poster child for risk factors, I didn't get the help I needed.  

HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:24 PM

I hope the doppler helps. =)

PPD is Post-Partum Depression, right?  Is it just the test for pregnancy-related depression and they're calling it PPD, I guess?  I'm unclear b/c of what they're calling it, b/c drs are usually so anal about having a different name for every single little tiny difference between this and that.  But being able to listen to the baby's heartbeat will help the anxiety, I'm sure! =)  ((hugs))

Quoting Proud-mama-05: Yes depression. This is like the 2nd or 3rd time I've taken it with this pregnancy (and my last 2). I thought it was odd since I only took it after pregnancy with my 1st 3. She gave me the option for a counselor if I feel I need it and weekly heart tones visits right now. We'll go from there I guess. I had ppd with my 2nd child so I know how bad it can be. I will definitely be more alert to any issues after baby arrives especially because of the issues I'm experiencing during pregnancy.
Quoting anxiousschk:

S.W.W.G. group

Proud-mama-05
by Stacy on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:29 PM
It's the same test you take after birth for post-partum depression which is why I referred to it as such because I don't know what it's actually called lol. I certainly hope it helps, I'm pretty sure my other kids think mommy has gone crazy 😔

Quoting HunnyBabie:

PPD is Post-Partum Depression, right?  Is it just the test for pregnancy-related depression and they're calling it PPD, I guess?  I'm unclear b/c of what they're calling it, b/c drs are usually so anal about having a different name for every single little tiny difference between this and that.  But being able to listen to the baby's heartbeat will help the anxiety, I'm sure! =)  ((hugs))

Quoting Proud-mama-05: Yes depression. This is like the 2nd or 3rd time I've taken it with this pregnancy (and my last 2). I thought it was odd since I only took it after pregnancy with my 1st 3. She gave me the option for a counselor if I feel I need it and weekly heart tones visits right now. We'll go from there I guess. I had ppd with my 2nd child so I know how bad it can be. I will definitely be more alert to any issues after baby arrives especially because of the issues I'm experiencing during pregnancy.

Quoting anxiousschk:

HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:35 PM

I see.  That's what I'd do. =)

Yeah, mine always think I'm crazy when I'm pregnant too; so welcome to the club. lol

Quoting Proud-mama-05: It's the same test you take after birth for post-partum depression which is why I referred to it as such because I don't know what it's actually called lol. I certainly hope it helps, I'm pretty sure my other kids think mommy has gone crazy 😔
Quoting HunnyBabie:

Quoting anxiousschk:

S.W.W.G. group

Sassym0m24
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:37 PM
During pregnancy is prenatal depression(name wise)and as far as I've been aware(from what many many high risk OBs told me).

It's your psychological factors from the past(your life including, pp past pregnancies and births), not during the current pregnancy itself,that make you at risk for postpartum depression(after pregnancy) which PPanxiety is a branch of(and severe).

Having resources lined up is great just in case but having prenatal depression doesn't mean you'll have PP depression so hopefully you don't "need" it..you know?:)

I'd also always consider if you drastically change, to more anxious and or blowing up at people, having flashbacks, feeling "crazy" even if everyone thinks you seem "just fine", that you don't assume it can't be pp depression just because at the 6wk(really the only point they question if you have it), you were fine.

It can start later.

Good luck!
Proud-mama-05
by Stacy on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:49 PM
Oh I know, I wasn't diagnosed with my 2nd till he was 7-8 months old.

Quoting Sassym0m24: During pregnancy is prenatal depression(name wise)and as far as I've been aware(from what many many high risk OBs told me).

It's your psychological factors from the past(your life including, pp past pregnancies and births), not during the current pregnancy itself,that make you at risk for postpartum depression(after pregnancy) which PPanxiety is a branch of(and severe).

Having resources lined up is great just in case but having prenatal depression doesn't mean you'll have PP depression so hopefully you don't "need" it..you know?:)

I'd also always consider if you drastically change, to more anxious and or blowing up at people, having flashbacks, feeling "crazy" even if everyone thinks you seem "just fine", that you don't assume it can't be pp depression just because at the 6wk(really the only point they question if you have it), you were fine.

It can start later.

Good luck!
Sassym0m24
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:57 PM
Ok, it's good you know that and I hope your doppler helps during.

There's a book I like for anxiety during and after pregnancy if you'd like the link too.
MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:40 PM

A doppler is a small thing that sounds like it will go a long way for you.  I'm glad you were able to get one, and I hope it helps!

Look into placenta encapsulation as a proactive solution to PPD.  I have anxiety & struggled through pregnancy myself at times.  Particularly at the beginning before the first trimester screenining results were received with a go-to-go.  Even then I don't bond until after baby is born due to past experience.  I've had no issues with PPD when I encapsulated my placenta though!  The pills made a world of difference for me in so many ways.

Have a signficant other that's away most of the time due to work?
Join me in HARDLY THERE, and meet other mothers who can relate.

Proud-mama-05
by Stacy on Sep. 26, 2015 at 8:34 AM
I've had anxiety with pregnancy before but it was very mild and was never a big issue. This time around its hard to function at those times when it happens. Which having 5 other children that need me I that's not good. I feel awful for them because they don't understand what's going on but they are certainly affected by it. I really hope it does help. Sometimes I wish I could be a little more detached in pregnancy but I bond so fiercely from the very beginning.

Quoting MamaBearEH:

A doppler is a small thing that sounds like it will go a long way for you.  I'm glad you were able to get one, and I hope it helps!

Look into placenta encapsulation as a proactive solution to PPD.  I have anxiety & struggled through pregnancy myself at times.  Particularly at the beginning before the first trimester screenining results were received with a go-to-go.  Even then I don't bond until after baby is born due to past experience.  I've had no issues with PPD when I encapsulated my placenta though!  The pills made a world of difference for me in so many ways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)