Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

blood pressure spike?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:45 AM
  • 29 Replies
So the past few days I have been feeling extra lousy, increased pubic pressure/back pain, sick to my stomach/starving, really bad headaches/swollen feet. So today I check my bp and it was 142/90 I'm 37 weeks and 3 days and I never have high blood pressure. Im going to see a stand in for my ob tommorow and I'm worried they'll push induction on me if its high again. Have any of you had high readings suddenly this late in the game? If so did they force induction or even c-section?
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2bRN007
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:39 AM
If you've never had it before and now have high bp along with the other symptoms you could have preeclampsia. They will check your urine for protein and creatinine and also check your blood. If you do have protein and your labs are elevated, it's always best to deliver early, especially since you are term now. It may not be the way you hoped, but the only cure for preeclampsia is delivery.
It could be mild and they may just watch it, but be its always good to be prepared just in case.

Best of luck to you!!
amberNewman0213
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I had pre-e in my first pregnancy. They gave me blood pressure meds and put me on bedrest. I was 33 weeks and going into labor already. I agree with the other post above. U could always try to put yourself into labor but I would do whatever the doctor recommended. Sometimes plans have to change but I'm sure they have your babies best intrest at heart.
Azure
by Group Admin on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you're seeing your OB. If they recommend induction as what the risks and benefits are and what the alternatives and risks and benefits to that are. Good luck!

alkakfnxcpoem
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:30 AM
About the same time as you my BP spiked with my first, but up to 150/100. A few days later I started feeling dizzy too (I had started feeling off the day before my BP reading was high). I was induced the Monday after my BP shot up because the neuro symptoms were starting too. Watch out for dizziness, blurred vision, spots in your vision, and pain in the upper right part of your abdomen. You can have preeclampsia without protein in your urine, which is what I had.
todmom92
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:54 PM
Thank you, I had to change my appt for today and reschedule for tommorow. The nurse wanted me to get checked out at the hospital so here I am lol. Didnt get tests back yet so I am just in limbo right now. I only care about keeping the baby healthy so if it happens it happens.

Quoting mommy2bRN007: If you've never had it before and now have high bp along with the other symptoms you could have preeclampsia. They will check your urine for protein and creatinine and also check your blood. If you do have protein and your labs are elevated, it's always best to deliver early, especially since you are term now. It may not be the way you hoped, but the only cure for preeclampsia is delivery.
It could be mild and they may just watch it, but be its always good to be prepared just in case.

Best of luck to you!!
todmom92
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:56 PM
Ooh yeah I'm getting checked out right now so we'll see. That must've been scary for you.

Quoting alkakfnxcpoem: About the same time as you my BP spiked with my first, but up to 150/100. A few days later I started feeling dizzy too (I had started feeling off the day before my BP reading was high). I was induced the Monday after my BP shot up because the neuro symptoms were starting too. Watch out for dizziness, blurred vision, spots in your vision, and pain in the upper right part of your abdomen. You can have preeclampsia without protein in your urine, which is what I had.
alkakfnxcpoem
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:07 PM
It was tough for sure. Good luck to you. They had me at the hospital a few times doing blood tests and NSTs, plus I had to do a 24 hour urine collection. They'll probably do the same for you.

Quoting todmom92: Ooh yeah I'm getting checked out right now so we'll see. That must've been scary for you.

Quoting alkakfnxcpoem: About the same time as you my BP spiked with my first, but up to 150/100. A few days later I started feeling dizzy too (I had started feeling off the day before my BP reading was high). I was induced the Monday after my BP shot up because the neuro symptoms were starting too. Watch out for dizziness, blurred vision, spots in your vision, and pain in the upper right part of your abdomen. You can have preeclampsia without protein in your urine, which is what I had.
HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Are you feeling better?

Did it come down?

Please let us know how things turn out at the hospital, okay?

juniors.mommy
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:48 PM
With Ds but I ended up having pre eclampsia he was born at 37 weeks 2 days
todmom92
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:38 PM
Yup same lol

Quoting alkakfnxcpoem: It was tough for sure. Good luck to you. They had me at the hospital a few times doing blood tests and NSTs, plus I had to do a 24 hour urine collection. They'll probably do the same for you.

Quoting todmom92: Ooh yeah I'm getting checked out right now so we'll see. That must've been scary for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)