Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Got sent home from hospital. 37 weeks. long.

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:53 AM
  • 14 Replies
WOw what a day! Well i had my level 2 us today. Everything came back fine except they couldn't see him practice breathing motions. This is the second time he hasn't showed it on the Us. Movement was fine hb fine fluid everything except that poriton of him breathing on his own. I scored a 8/10. While i was waiting on the us tech she comes back and says i will be admitted and induced. Total shock. Im only 37 5 days

She said my dr would be in to speak to me. So they send me to a room. Hook me up to monitor's start a iv and im just waiting. My dr didn't come in to talk to me until almost 9 pm. He basically told me that the Us dr recommend me being induced because of the lack in points. I honestly didn't want that. If there was a emergency with his health of course, but my dr told me he is comfortable with me staying or going home. Im already 2 cm dilated. So i decided to go home and try and make it on my own. He wants me back in the office on Monday. 

Now im paranoid that i made a wrong decision. I know there is a risk taking early or later but i just thought if i can keep him in a little longer it would be better. If my dr expressed that this was a emergency then of course i would stay but when he gave me a option to stay or let my body try and go natural. I left. 

I am worried about not being able to see him breath. But i also know you don't see it everytime. Im so mentally drained from today  I have never experienced this before and it's just all so confusing to me.
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySwiggles
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:55 AM
Ultrasounds are not always accurate. Try not to stress too much. It is better for him to stay put a little longer than induce early as long as there are no signs of distress.
want2bmommy86
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:58 AM
I haven't had to go through this but sending you positive thoughts mama.
FlaSunshine813
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:59 AM
Everything else was perfect. Both nurses said that the NST was beautiful. His movement and heartbeat was fine, it was just they couldn't see him practice breathing so they wanted to induce. I have never been through this before.

Quoting MommySwiggles: Ultrasounds are not always accurate. Try not to stress too much. It is better for him to stay put a little longer than induce early as long as there are no signs of distress.
mekagirl33
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:11 AM
My kids sometimes didn't practice breathing on the US or even moved when they wanted but they were ok. If it's not a real emergency where they had no choice and baby will do better on the outside then so be it.I've been through it twice and baby had to come so like I said if your doc thinks he's good relax if tells you it's time go ahead.
Azure
by Group Admin on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Interesting. I've never heard of a doctor wanting to induce for that. You made the best choice you could with the information you had. I think giving babies as much time as possible is usually the best route, myself. Sending you positive thoughts.

MommySwiggles
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Honestly, I have NEVER heard of that before. I have 3 kids of my own and I am a doula.  If it were me, I would not agree to an induction unless baby or myself was in some sort of distress.  Induction substantially increases the risk of c-section.  As long as you both are doing well, let your body do its thing.  You are already 2cm, trust your body and your insticts =)

Quoting FlaSunshine813: Everything else was perfect. Both nurses said that the NST was beautiful. His movement and heartbeat was fine, it was just they couldn't see him practice breathing so they wanted to induce. I have never been through this before.
Quoting MommySwiggles: Ultrasounds are not always accurate. Try not to stress too much. It is better for him to stay put a little longer than induce early as long as there are no signs of distress.

MrsKH
by Kara on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:36 PM
I probably would have went with the induction. I've never heard of the practicing breathing before when I was pregnant with my son. If you get worried, you can always call and ask to go back in.
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Just because they didnt SEE it doesn't mean he doesn't do it. I wouldn't have consented to an induction in this situation, as if he ISNT ready to breath, inducing him now is more likely to cause a breathing problem, then waiting 3 more weeks for him to be born at term.

HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:36 PM

I would have done the exact same thing.

The lungs getting ready to breath is the last thing that happens, that's why they try not to induce before 39-42 weeks.  So it doesn't make any sense to me that "they" would want to induce at 37+5.  I would think they'd want the baby inside where the lungs can do what they're supposed to do, develop!!!

So, for what it's worth, I think you made the right decision, and I don't disagree w/ considering induction if your own dr expressed concern. =)

(((hugs))) I hope your rough day has gotten better!!!!

2callmemom09
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 3:48 AM
My daughter scored 8/10 on the bpp too, at 37+3. She didn't fail the breathing part tho, she failed movement and my fluid was a 9. The next day they did a delete, and my fluid went down to 3cm and she again failed movement. They immediately induced me, and I had her early the next morning at 37+4. She was only 5lbs 6oz. I should add I was diagnosed with iugr (inner uterine growth restriction) the day before as well. She came out perfectly fine, but had a small issue with holding her body temp, so we stayed an extra day. She's now a month old and 1 oz shy of 8lbs. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)