Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preeclampsic symptoms but not preeclampsia?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:16 PM
  • 11 Replies
ive got 23 days until I have my c-section. I've been so swollen, it isn't even funny!! My feet no longer fit in shoes, I have to wear flip flops. My hands are so swollen my thumb can't touch my pinky. I've cut out all the salt I can, I drink a TON of water, I lay on my side with my feet up. The past few days, I've got new things to add to that. I've been getting really bad headaches and I'm starting to see sparkles.

At my last appointment my bp was 122/something. For most of this pregnancy it has been about 110/something.

Is this normal? I had DS early, so I've never been this pregnant before. :) should I call my dr in the morning to let him know what's going on? Or wait until my next appointment on Tuesday? I hate bothering him if it's not important.
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2bRN007
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:50 PM
You don't have to have high bp's to have preeclampsia. Call your dr. Good luck!
HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Yes, your bp is normal.

No, I wouldn't call the dr.

If you want advice, I would say walk a bit.  (Again, not the activities you described a few months ago when I suggested that you walk; I'm talking about waddling like you mean it for a little while each day, trying to rack up at least 20 min a day).

I hope you're feeling better soon. =)

PoodleMum
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 2:17 AM
Swelling isn't a sign of pre-e anymore. Many people swell at the end of pregnancy and many people with pre-e don't swell (I was one, mine was severe). I wouldn't worry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennPearce
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 4:32 AM

Have you had high protein in your urine tests? My bp has been good but my doctor is concerned about the level of protein in my urine the past couple times he has tested for it. He told me to watch for headaches and swelling that is just out of control. It wouldn't hurt to call your doctor and let them know. Also look for fuzzy vision and pain in your rib cage area,

steffielou_who
by Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 4:37 AM
Cut out caffeine too.. That can cause you to sell and drink lots of water!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Azure
by Group Admin on Oct. 9, 2015 at 11:47 AM

I don't have much to add-just wanted to let you know i'm sending you positive thoughts. I hope the swelling goes down for you-that must be uncomfortable.

HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Hi there, Hon! =)

I hope you're feeling better today!!!  So, how many times did you get to walk? =)

Missmom00
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2016 at 3:24 AM
I would definitely call. I dont care if my doctor thinks im annoying, at the end of the day, its my baby and shell only have to deal with me for 9-10 months. Anyway I was tested almost every week for preeclampsia at the beginning of 5 months because of the symptoms. Everytime I was ok and results were negative . But one week, day I was doing my test, I ended up having to have emergency c-section because it so turns out that one day they found the pre-e. My bp got so hi it ended up killing my baby. I dont wish this on anybody so my advice. Call!
bethanymommy
by Member on Jun. 18, 2016 at 10:06 AM
I had severe swelling with my first pregnancy and did not have pre e.
But if you're concerned, talk to the Doctor.
Shyennewilliams
by Member on Jun. 18, 2016 at 10:49 AM
This extra retention of fluid is needed to soften the body, which enables it to expand as the baby develops. Extra fluid also helps prepare the pelvic joints and tissues to open for delivery. The extra fluids account for approximately 25% of the weight women gain during pregnancy.

When Does Swelling Occur During Pregnancy?

Swelling may be experienced at any point during pregnancy, but it tends to be noticed around the fifth month and can increase while you are in the third trimester.

The following factors may also affect swelling:

Summertime heat
Standing for long periods of time
Long days of activity
Diet low in potassium
High level of caffeine consumption
High level of sodium intake
Slight swelling is expected during pregnancy; however, if you experience sudden swelling in your hands and your face, it could be a sign of preeclampsia. It is important to contact your health care provider about any sudden swelling.

What Can You Do To Treat Swelling During Pregnancy?

Swelling may be reduced by eating foods that are high in potassium, such as bananas, and by avoiding caffeine.

Here are some other helpful hints to manage swelling during your pregnancy:

Avoid standing for long periods.
Minimize outdoor time when it is hot.
Rest with your feet elevated.
Wear comfortable shoes, avoiding high heels if possible.
Wear supportive tights or stockings.
Avoid clothes that are tight around your wrists or ankles.
Rest or swim in a pool.
Use cold compresses on swollen areas.
Drink water, which helps flush the body and reduce water retention.
Minimize sodium (salt) intake and avoid adding additional salt to meals.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)