Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ultrasound Question!

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:19 PM
  • 11 Replies
I'm almost 16 weeks. So the appt after the one this coming week will be the ultrasound appt. The way our insurance works is all prenatal appts are free except we have to pay for ultrasounds. In the past we've had to have an ultrasound around 34-36 weeks to be sure baby is head down and ready to be born. But how necessary is the 20 weeks ultrasound? Of course!I want to see my baby! I just wonder, what sorts of things do they look for that they could actually do anything about if something were to be "wrong"?
I'm just curious. And if it's 100% necessary I have no problem paying it and have the money, but incase there is a need for other medical stuff I wanted to know.
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:30 PM
If it weren't covered, I wouldn't pay unless I was down right rich. It is called the anatomy scan bc they look for physical defects (10 fingers, 10 toes, 4 chambers in the heart, find all the internal organs, check gender so the dr knows if there's a possibility of the circumcision decision, etc).
If this is your first, then you might want to spring for it. However, the more healthy, whole children you have had the lower the likelihood that this baby had anything wrong with his/her body.
Eliza04
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:35 PM
2 moms liked this

If you are choosing just 1 ultrasound the whole pregnancy would do the 20 week and skip the 30 weeker. You can tall just by feel if baby is head down and weight from ultrasound can be way off and taken very lightly. The 20 week one though checks for all the physical things about baby as well as blood flow through cord, heart, head and body size, placenta placement, and other important (atleast in my opinion) things. So personally if only doing 1 ultrasound the whole time, the 20 week is the one I would never miss.

PartyOfGirls
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:39 PM

20 week imo is important, it is to detect and abnormalities in the development of the fetus, and also to see the gender if you want too!

MrsKH
by Kara on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:43 PM
I think the 20 week is the most important.
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 30, 2015 at 8:21 AM

the 20 week scan is the most important. IF baby needed life saving surgery, or was going to have complications, that's when it would likely show up on the scan.

I would not wait until last minute for a scan right before birth, it's harder to measure and see something, I would go ahead and have it doneat 20 weeks and skip the one later if babies healthy. I won't be doing a scan to see if baby's head down,ebcause I don't CARE if babies head down. :P I won't consent to a c-section for a bad position. Labor usually corrects that, or the baby does unless you have something physically wrong with the shape of your uterus, or something is drastically wrong with the baby..

Amari06
by Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 8:25 AM
20 week is definitely important because they check all the organs, limbs, head, and take measurements. I waited until I was close to 23 weeks to get my scan done. I have an appointment today and will ask if they are doing another ultrasound soon. I am 31 weeks as of Wednesday.
kiki719
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 9:29 AM
It is to me because they look at everything make sure baby is developing.
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 9:50 AM
This. Why isn't your doctor able to feel how baby is positioned?

Quoting Eliza04:

If you are choosing just 1 ultrasound the whole pregnancy would do the 20 week and skip the 30 weeker. You can tall just by feel if baby is head down and weight from ultrasound can be way off and taken very lightly. The 20 week one though checks for all the physical things about baby as well as blood flow through cord, heart, head and body size, placenta placement, and other important (atleast in my opinion) things. So personally if only doing 1 ultrasound the whole time, the 20 week is the one I would never miss.

amber710
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 10:53 AM

I always thought that the 20 week scan was the ultrasound to have if you were only going to have one.

It checks the complete anatomy of the baby now that all the parts are in place and developing (all organs, body parts, extremities, etc). I would decline the later one or the 16 week to be able to afford that halfway point check. 

Stevensmomma
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2015 at 10:23 AM
20 week is important and then the last one at 35 weeks to see baby position
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)