Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just canceled my baby shower..

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:07 PM
  • 33 Replies
This is my 4th baby but first girl. I didn't want a shower to begin with but my sister insisted on throwing me one, and 4 friends wanted to help.. Well with it being about a week away and nothing being dkne for it. No plans of who will pay for what.. Left me feeling like the financial burden was on me. I have no extra money to spare which is why I didn't want to have one in the first place... But I'm annoyed because I got used to the idea of having one thrown for me to just be let down. And for my sister to say she would only provide the cake and $100 towards the food?! So annoyed!! Am I wrong? Or when you offer to throw someone a baby shower do you not assume the costs that come along with it too?
😔 This kind of stuff ALWAYS happens to me!
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't think you're wrong either for canceling our for expecting the person/ppl throwing it to pay.
I'm So sorry you're not going to get your shower, Hon! (hugs)
mekagirl33
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
No you're not wrong everybody loves the idea but responsibility always will back on you,I saw it happened with my sister the so called Godmothers fought over who was gonna do what,buy or pay for what,she cancelled until me and my other sister came together and gave her a surprise baby shower and the bitches acted like they wanted to run it. And that's why I didn't want any for my last 4 kids. Don't worry lil girl will be just fine.
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 30, 2015 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I was always under the impression that the person hosting contributed most of the funds for it, however, I did buy stuff for a baby shower when a friend hosted one for me with my daughter. I bought some of the decorations/plates and brought some of the food. We did it potluck style so everyone could bring something they were SURE they could eat. 

Amari06
by Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 8:21 AM
The only thing my sister and I took responsibility for was the games and food. I don't really trust anyone else cooking for me. My mom took care of everything else. We had been planning for weeks I hate last min arrangements.

I wasn't planning on doing a shower in the beginning so we already had the big stuff and some small stuff.

Sorry you got let down. Can you just do a small dinner with family and a few close friends?
luckyinlife
by on Oct. 30, 2015 at 8:32 AM
I don't know how big of a party you are throwing, but if you just change it up to pot luck style or keep it simple with cake and drinks you could still have a nice party. Dollar store decorations and just do a few games with small prizes, like candles or lotions.
parisonmom
by on Oct. 30, 2015 at 8:44 AM
With ds I threw my own.

With dd mybsiatwr and I shared a baby shower.
Hiker11
by on Oct. 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM
3 moms liked this
Were you expecting a 7 course meal? How in the world does cake and $100 towards food not cover drinks and appetizers for a baby shower?
kiki719
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 9:27 AM
I only had one shower for my first. I think its kind of tacky to have more then one. No you aren't wrong if she offered to throw it she needs to do every thing.
mommy2bRN007
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
No, we have a large family and with the guest list over 50 people I doubt $100 would cover enough food for everyone. Also, food is not so cheap where we live. Thanks for your comment though. Super sweet....

Quoting Hiker11: Were you expecting a 7 course meal? How in the world does cake and $100 towards food not cover drinks and appetizers for a baby shower?
mommy2bRN007
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 9:38 AM
Right, but I never wanted to have one to begin with because I couldn't pay for anything needed for the shower. She knew this and is why she insisted on throwing me one.. I don't care much for people paying for things for my self or my child so...

Quoting kajira:

I was always under the impression that the person hosting contributed most of the funds for it, however, I did buy stuff for a baby shower when a friend hosted one for me with my daughter. I bought some of the decorations/plates and brought some of the food. We did it potluck style so everyone could bring something they were SURE they could eat. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)