Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hospital bag!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:47 PM
  • 12 Replies
Tomorrow I will be 31 weeks. I'm getting my check list ready for the hospital/labor bag.

What are somethings to put on my check list? My fourth baby but it always seems I either forget something or I forget my bag.

Also when is a good time to make sure the bag is packed and ready to go? I had my first at 36weeks, and the second and third babies were born at 37/38 weeks.
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcmlxxxv
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Clothes for you and baby (and daddy if he's present)
Baby mittens for scratchy nails
Phone charger
Snacks
Chapstick
Headband and hair ties
Brush, toothbrush, deodorant, etc.
I think that's pretty much all I used. DH was the one who wished he had packed more!
amberlynn1118
by Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha. Thanks. I always make lists and plan and still feel like I'm forgetting something and then I tend to over pack. So I made the posts hoping to get ideas to go through my list to make sure nothing is missing and I don't end up over packing and my fiancé think I'm crazy

Quoting mcmlxxxv: Clothes for you and baby (and daddy if he's present)
Baby mittens for scratchy nails
Phone charger
Snacks
Chapstick
Headband and hair ties
Brush, toothbrush, deodorant, etc.
I think that's pretty much all I used. DH was the one who wished he had packed more!
kajira
by Emma on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

PRobably 35 weeks or so. as to the rest, I don't know. I jus hae my husband bring me crap once i'm stuck there. LOL 

godsgirl26
by Charmaine on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank for this post. I was going to post the same thing lol.
incheck4real
by Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I always bring nipple cream, my own pads, tucks pads to go into my pads for swelling, depends adult diapers because then you just throw the whole thing away I hate hospital stretchy panties, my boppy, nursing cover, an inflatable donut pillow to sit on I had to have one with my episiotomy and I promised myself I would always bring one just incase plus they make the ride home so much nicer, I take prunes with me to eat in the hospital I don't want to get constipated post partum ever again it was one of the monst painful things ever, I also take my own pillow because I can hardly sleep without it.

I pack between 34-35 weeks.
mommy2bRN007
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothbrush, ect)
Clothes
Charger
My camera
Slippers
And I bring the diaper bag packed for baby.

I'm 37w2d and my bag still isn't packed. Lol I'll do it soon.
Heathersb33
by Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 7:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Nice comfy socks and a pair of comfy clothes when you have visitors so you have something to wear besides those nice hospital gowns. Definitely phone and charger and a few outfits for baby since you don't know exactly how big they will be and what would fit best.
Mommyof2n0308
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha I'm the same. With my first I was like 25 weeks.. ended up b having a csection.. this my 3rd and I have a scheduled csec to on dec 4 if I haven't gone into labor..but I'm just like oh well... I'll do it later lol

Quoting mommy2bRN007: Toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothbrush, ect)
Clothes
Charger
My camera
Slippers
And I bring the diaper bag packed for baby.

I'm 37w2d and my bag still isn't packed. Lol I'll do it soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm going backward here:

I'd put it in the car when you feel like you're getting close.  As long as there's nothing perishable in the bag, it could stay in the car for weeks w/o a problem (Oh, IDK where you live, you might need to consider things in it freezing as well???).  But you could make a mini bag of things that need to stay at room temp and hang it near (or on the back of) the front door.

Here are my lists
For labor/delivery/recovery (right around when the baby's born): 

• Hair ties (ponytails/clips/hairband)
  • Feet: socks and/or slippers (flip flops?)
  • lotion (light fragrance I like at the time)
  • phone (charged) and/or camera and/or contact list (ppl to call when labor starts, when baby is born, the next day)
  • gatorade or electrolyte solution
  • birthing plan (2-3 copies: one for me/DH and one for the nurse/midwife)
  • "Position Statement" article (an article I found on labor and birthing positions a long time ago)
  • music?  Sometimes I like the idea and sometimes I feel like it's too much of a waste of time.  I like the idea of 2 playlists a fun one to help me feel good early on and a more soothing/relaxing one to help me relax when things get tense during hard labor.
  • Anything else I think will help me feel better and/or be more comfortable during early/active labor, pushing, and/or right after the baby's born.

Hospital stay:

• stuff for washing (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, washcloth); I use coconut oil and baking soda nowadays though
  • lotion (from l/d/r list), anti-bacterial gel (my hospital has dispensers all over the place now), deodorant
  • toothbrush & toothpaste
  • hair brush & hair ties (from l/d/r list)
  • pajamas (nursing friendly)
  • 2 nursing bras (I only stay 24 hours, so that's one for after L&D and a backup) & nursing pads (12-24 disposable)
  • 2 panties (my hospital provides them, but I feel like I haven't packed right if I don't put them in)
  • slippers (from l/d/r list)
  • notebook & pen (for jotting down notes, what nurses/drs say, stuff to remember to tell ppl, things that come to mind in the middle of the night that I don't want to forget, etc)
  • phone card (in wallet) & phone #s (in purse)  This is an old list.

Going home:

• nursing top
  • maternity pants
  • nursing bra & pads
  • panties
  • shoes (the ones I wore to the hospital)

For the baby:

• baby book for footprints, info, etc
  • going home outfit
  • socks
  • a few diapers (I live a long, long way from the hospital)
  • wipes
  • receiving blanket
  • warm blanket (depending on weather/time of year)

I also have a list of stuff for the hospital stay, but my hospital provides everything for the baby (diapers, shirt, receiving blankets, washcloths for wiping, etc) for their entire stay.

I hope this is helpful somehow. =)

Azure
by Group Admin on Nov. 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Camera, batteries, extra socks for you, clothes for you and baby, toothbrush, hairbrush, toothpaste, deoderent, bottled water, jello cups, your own pillow. Those hospital pillows are the pits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)