Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:50 PM
  • 10 Replies
How long do you have to wait after getting pregnant again if you had your first miscarrage? And if your getting pregnant your second time is it more possible there won't be a miscarrage?
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lost2013
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
First sorry for your loss. To answer your first question most OBs will say to wait until your cycle returns (you can start trying after your AF has come and gone). The second question there is no guarantee that you won't have another miscarriage, my personal experience I had a healthy baby, got pregnant after my first was over a year and ended up losing that baby, 6 months later got pregnant and had my second DD, got pregnant 9 months later and currently have a 1 month old. One other experience I witnessed my cousin had two healthy babies, then got pregnant with her third which ended in a miscarriage, then got pregnant again and had a healthy baby, a year later got pregnant and she had another miscarriage, got pregnant again had a baby, 7 months later got pregnant again and now is due next month. So unfortunately a miscarriage can happen at any time.
khs09vallan
by Anna on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I would ask your doctor when it would be ok to start trying again. And some books say having one miscarriage doesn't increase your risk for another but some books say the opposite. You doctor will know the statistics so I'd ask your doctor.
Honey_behbeh
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:22 PM
I just hope that the second time around I'll have a healthy baby and what is AF

Quoting lost2013: First sorry for your loss. To answer your first question most OBs will say to wait until your cycle returns (you can start trying after your AF has come and gone). The second question there is no guarantee that you won't have another miscarriage, my personal experience I had a healthy baby, got pregnant after my first was over a year and ended up losing that baby, 6 months later got pregnant and had my second DD, got pregnant 9 months later and currently have a 1 month old. One other experience I witnessed my cousin had two healthy babies, then got pregnant with her third which ended in a miscarriage, then got pregnant again and had a healthy baby, a year later got pregnant and she had another miscarriage, got pregnant again had a baby, 7 months later got pregnant again and now is due next month. So unfortunately a miscarriage can happen at any time.
AutasticMomx2
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:24 PM
It depends on the reason for your loss. The most important thing is to ask your dr to test your progesterone levels at cd 21. You may need to wait a few cycles for this, every dr does it a little differently. Low progesterone is an extremely common and preventable reason for miscarriage. There are not a lot of known reasons for miscarriage, so unfortunately not a lot can be done to prevent them. Obviously being in good health and taking a folate ( please don't take just folic acid. It isn't as easily absorbed) supplement can boost your chances as well. Unfortunately there is still no guarantees. I have a healthy 5 year old and have lost 3 since him. Genetic testing on me revealed a mild mthfr mutation which means I have to be extra careful about the folate I mentioned. If I lose another they will genetically test the fetus. Sorry for the novel, but I happened upon your question and wanted to be as thorough as possible.
HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 8:47 PM

AF is aunt flow (your period).

Honestly, you really should ask your midwife/OB.  I was told to wait at least 4 weeks to have intercourse and I was offered bc; I wasn't interested in getting pregnant again so I didn't pay attention to how long to wait.  Sorry.  I do know that how long you should wait would depend on how far along you were in the pregnancy that you m/c'd.  The medical community generally want women to wait at least 18 mos from one full-term delivery to the next conception.

(((hugs))) I'm sorry for your loss.

Quoting Honey_behbeh: I just hope that the second time around I'll have a healthy baby and what is AF
Quoting lost2013: First sorry for your loss. To answer your first question most OBs will say to wait until your cycle returns (you can start trying after your AF has come and gone). The second question there is no guarantee that you won't have another miscarriage, my personal experience I had a healthy baby, got pregnant after my first was over a year and ended up losing that baby, 6 months later got pregnant and had my second DD, got pregnant 9 months later and currently have a 1 month old. One other experience I witnessed my cousin had two healthy babies, then got pregnant with her third which ended in a miscarriage, then got pregnant again and had a healthy baby, a year later got pregnant and she had another miscarriage, got pregnant again had a baby, 7 months later got pregnant again and now is due next month. So unfortunately a miscarriage can happen at any time.

S.W.W.G. group

"Bump Pics Posts" *links*

MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:00 PM

You need to speak with your care provider to get an answer on that.

You're more fertile after having a miscarriage.  Honestly, you can't know if you're going to get a sticky bean or not.  Women experience miscarriages after healthy pregnancies as well.

I'm sorry for your loss.

MamaBearEH
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:04 PM

My understanding of it is that if you go right into getting pregnant again then the risk is higher for miscarriage.  The risk for miscarriage decreases after each cycle that follows until you're at your personal normal.  I believe the reason behind that is because it takes time - typically a few months - for your hormones to level out again after having a miscarriage.  During that time be warned, you can and likely will continue to test postive on HPT.  If your hormones are out of whack that affects your ability to carry a child as well as conceive.

Quoting khs09vallan: I would ask your doctor when it would be ok to start trying again. And some books say having one miscarriage doesn't increase your risk for another but some books say the opposite. You doctor will know the statistics so I'd ask your doctor.

Aquarius_RN
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:22 PM
You need to speak to your doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Azure
by Group Admin on Jan. 24, 2016 at 11:46 AM

I was told to wait at least three months. And as an above poster said, you can still continue to get positives for a while because the hormones take a while to leave your system. I'm sorry for your loss.

lost2013
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2016 at 12:49 AM
AF stand for Aunt Flo your period. Just try stay positive.

Quoting Honey_behbeh: I just hope that the second time around I'll have a healthy baby and what is AF

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)