Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

End of Progesterone Regimen

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:17 AM
  • 7 Replies
Last night was my last night on my progesterone suppositories. I was given a compound prescription of 200mg progesterone suppositories since 6 weeks. I am now 15 weeks and 1 day. I must admit, I am a little worried. My levels were checked because of my history of miscarriages and the test came back at a 9, which 10 is the minimum of average. I know it's the progesterone and God that have allowed me to carry this long. I guess I have to have more faith in my body and to be positive. Sometimes things that seem too good to be true are actually blessings that we get to experience in our lives... the awesomely good stuff doesn't always go away. I've been reading old forums of women like me who have miscarried multiple times and had successful pregnancies with progesterone. There were of course the few that it didn't work for. I guess I'm super happy that I can feel my son thrashing around a bit whenever I'm sitting. It's reassuring and makes me smile and just breathe a sigh of relief that he's still there. anyone have an ultrasound machine laying around?! lol =) *progesterone pregnancy stories much encouraged*
by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kajira
by Emma on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Weird, normally they do suppositories the entire pregnancy until 34-36 weeks if you're on them. The sudden withdrawal can trigger labor chemicals.

I started progesterone suppositories at 16 weeks, and will continue with them until 34-35 weeks, and I also do weekly progesterone shots, and I don't have low progesterone levels. But I have an irritable uterus with a history of a short cervix and preterm labor.

lilmissknwitall
by Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:22 AM

The length of regimen must vary because I have read more stories of women stopping at the end of 14 weeks than of women taking it for the whole pregnancy. 

I do my 2nd trimester panel on Monday, so I'll call my Dr. before hand to make sure they'll be checking my progesterone levels as well.  

Quoting kajira:

Weird, normally they do suppositories the entire pregnancy until 34-36 weeks if you're on them. The sudden withdrawal can trigger labor chemicals.

I started progesterone suppositories at 16 weeks, and will continue with them until 34-35 weeks, and I also do weekly progesterone shots, and I don't have low progesterone levels. But I have an irritable uterus with a history of a short cervix and preterm labor.

kajira
by Emma on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends on the doctor,a lot of times they just do it first trimester to help with history of miscarriage, but, given your history, I would probably aks to continue till 34-36 weeks to be safe. 

Quoting lilmissknwitall:

The length of regimen must vary because I have read more stories of women stopping at the end of 14 weeks than of women taking it for the whole pregnancy. 

I do my 2nd trimester panel on Monday, so I'll call my Dr. before hand to make sure they'll be checking my progesterone levels as well.  

Quoting kajira:

Azure
by Group Admin on Feb. 6, 2016 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Sending positive thoughts your way.

khs09vallan
by Anna on Feb. 6, 2016 at 6:52 PM
I've never been on progesterone so I don't have any real advice. But I hope you have a healthy happy 9 months!
jamielynn070984
by Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Congratulations!! I understand how you feel. Hubby and I tried for 6 years for our first and had 8 miscaariages.I had tried the progesterone suppositores also but was still not able to keep a pregnancy after 6 weeks. With a little help from IVF we have been blessed to currently be expecting our daughter in 3 weeks! Good luck to you.

dianna985
by Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM
Their is 3 differnt reasons progesterone in 1st trimester to stay pregnant and prevent miscarriage is stopped at 2nd trimester because increase in progesterone at that time do to placenta taking over i belive. Suppositories in 2nd half of pregnancy start and stay until 36 week to lengthen cervix/ prevent shortning. The shots are to prevent premature bith and prom in singleton pregnancies. Hope this helps good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)