Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to tell when it's real for those of us who don't have traditional labor symptoms.

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:43 PM
  • 46 Replies

For those who don't have labor pains, progressive intensity of feelings, and just feel different, weird, odd, or don't often know they are in labor until they have the urge to push... how do you figure your out in labor earlier before a baby falls out? LOL

I'm pretty sure i'm in early prodomal labor (the stage that can last weeks, lots of irregular contractions, but they ARE slowly progressing me, so, I'm trying to figure out how to tell when it's real or not, since contractions aren't a good indicator for me when i'm in labor.)

I can also sleep through my contractions (walked in 10cm dilated, because I slept through my entire labor with my twins.) Last time I listen to a L and D nurse tell me if I can sleep through it, it's not real labor. LOL

So, that's my conundrum. With my daughter, I wasn't sure I was in labor until my water broke, then she wa sborn in 47 minutes. Since I need to try to travel 3 hours to the midwifes who took me on, I am trying to avoid giving birth in the car, or waking up pushing a baby out in my bed.

So, for ladies who have non-painful contractions, that stay irregular, yet still are in labor... how do you decide when it's real - for me, so far, it's when I'm damn near pushing a baby out my vagina... which is not helpful if I want to catch it early enough to travel anywhere.

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marilyn623
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 11:13 AM
Can you check your own cervix?
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 12, 2016 at 11:28 AM

I could, but I don't know how to compare it and I'd rather not accidentally break my water because I do it wrong. 

Quoting marilyn623: Can you check your own cervix?

musicNcaffeine
by on Mar. 12, 2016 at 11:33 AM
I wish I could help. I have been following you closely. I'm very intrigued by your labors. I have never gone in to labor. I was induced with my first 3, and am having a medically necessary c section this time. I'm sure you'll figure it out. :-)
luckyinlife
by on Mar. 12, 2016 at 11:37 AM
Oh its easy. Basically one tip of a finger opening is 1 cm, 2 fingers are 2 cm ect. That's a basic way of knowing what's going on. As it gets shorter, it gets lower and closer to your vaginal opening. I know you won't check, lol, but now you know the basic concept.

Quoting kajira:

I could, but I don't know how to compare it and I'd rather not accidentally break my water because I do it wrong. 

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 12, 2016 at 11:43 AM

haha, why are my labors interesting to you?

Quoting musicNcaffeine: I wish I could help. I have been following you closely. I'm very intrigued by your labors. I have never gone in to labor. I was induced with my first 3, and am having a medically necessary c section this time. I'm sure you'll figure it out. :-)

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 12, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Oh, I know that part, I just am worried i'd break my water on accident, since her head is so low already. That's what happened with my twins, the doctor accidentally broke my water when he checked me.

I'm leery of being checked because of that, especially if i'm not experienced, or trained how to do it carefully to avoid causing a problem. When I would check my cervix during TTC, all i did was feel the texture and location, I never tried to see if it was opened or closed, because that part didn't matter to me since I used fertility meds and trigger shots.

LOL I just checked that part because I was curious to see if I had a pattern during even fertility cycles that matched what the books said should be happening. (and it didn't. when I ovulated and got pregnant with my daughter, I had almost no fertile mucus, it was hard, and low... yet I got pregnant!)

Quoting luckyinlife: Oh its easy. Basically one tip of a finger opening is 1 cm, 2 fingers are 2 cm ect. That's a basic way of knowing what's going on. As it gets shorter, it gets lower and closer to your vaginal opening. I know you won't check, lol, but now you know the basic concept.
Quoting kajira:

luckyinlife
by on Mar. 12, 2016 at 11:58 AM
Oh good lol. I was surprised you didn't know that, so that makes more sense :-)

Quoting kajira:

Oh, I know that part, I just am worried i'd break my water on accident, since her head is so low already. That's what happened with my twins, the doctor accidentally broke my water when he checked me.

I'm leery of being checked because of that, especially if i'm not experienced, or trained how to do it carefully to avoid causing a problem. When I would check my cervix during TTC, all i did was feel the texture and location, I never tried to see if it was opened or closed, because that part didn't matter to me since I used fertility meds and trigger shots.

LOL I just checked that part because I was curious to see if I had a pattern during even fertility cycles that matched what the books said should be happening. (and it didn't. when I ovulated and got pregnant with my daughter, I had almost no fertile mucus, it was hard, and low... yet I got pregnant!)

Quoting luckyinlife: Oh its easy. Basically one tip of a finger opening is 1 cm, 2 fingers are 2 cm ect. That's a basic way of knowing what's going on. As it gets shorter, it gets lower and closer to your vaginal opening. I know you won't check, lol, but now you know the basic concept.

Quoting kajira:

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 12, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Yeah, i just end up having my labor over a few days, to 2-3 weeks, instead of in a 12 hour chunk all at once. I just can't figure out when it switches from the early-labor work, to "holy crap, the babies coming" until baby is actually coming... O.o LOL

Quoting luckyinlife: Oh good lol. I was surprised you didn't know that, so that makes more sense :-)
Quoting kajira:

Quoting kajira:

flowerfunleah
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 12:33 PM

I thought you were gonna do an outdoor birth?

musicNcaffeine
by on Mar. 12, 2016 at 12:42 PM
I didn't realize how weird that sounded. Sorry! I just am interested in you not having "hard" labor. I have never heard of that. I admire that you are so relaxed. I'm sorry your midwife bailed.

Quoting kajira:

haha, why are my labors interesting to you?

Quoting musicNcaffeine: I wish I could help. I have been following you closely. I'm very intrigued by your labors. I have never gone in to labor. I was induced with my first 3, and am having a medically necessary c section this time. I'm sure you'll figure it out. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)