Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Curious

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:04 AM
  • 38 Replies
What do contractions feel like?
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Azure
by Group Admin on Mar. 13, 2016 at 6:48 PM

It's a difficult thing for me to describe. I'm bumping so someone else with more eloquence on the issue can respond to you.

mcmlxxxv
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:01 PM
They are separated, and in between them, you don't feel pain except maybe the residual dull ache, similar to light cramps. But the actual contraction lasts about a minute and appears like a mountain on the monitor. You begin to feel a tightening of your abdomen, as if you were doing a sit-up, except you aren't. Then it steadily increases over the next few seconds and becomes very painful. If you've ever gotten a "Charlie horse" in your calf, it's similar to that, but worse. Then it releases and the pain is gone within a few seconds, until the next contraction. At least, that's how it felt for me! Now the contractions I'm describing were about halfway through my labor. My earliest contractions didn't hurt at all and felt like the baby was just moving. And my contractions after the point I'm describing were painless because I got an epidural.
amycole09
by Holly on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:09 PM
Thank you!! This actually makes me not so afraid of labor. I am not looking forward to the pain but at least knowing what is ahead of me helps me be prepared. Would you say the contractions are the worst part of child birth?

Quoting mcmlxxxv: They are separated, and in between them, you don't feel pain except maybe the residual dull ache, similar to light cramps. But the actual contraction lasts about a minute and appears like a mountain on the monitor. You begin to feel a tightening of your abdomen, as if you were doing a sit-up, except you aren't. Then it steadily increases over the next few seconds and becomes very painful. If you've ever gotten a "Charlie horse" in your calf, it's similar to that, but worse. Then it releases and the pain is gone within a few seconds, until the next contraction. At least, that's how it felt for me! Now the contractions I'm describing were about halfway through my labor. My earliest contractions didn't hurt at all and felt like the baby was just moving. And my contractions after the point I'm describing were painless because I got an epidural.
hurst0three
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:14 PM
Contractions are a tightening of the belly. False contractions begin at the bottom and move up, usually. These are called Braxton Hicks or "practice" contractions. I had these very frequently beginning at 19 weeks with Haley. The further along I got, the more intense they became. True labor contractions begin at the top of your belly and push downward, this causes the baby to move toward the opening. These do not usually happen until labor begins, although you can have a few sporadic ones here and there. They are very similar to menstrual cramps. Light in the beginning and 10x worse at the end. When those contractions begin to increase in intensity, become closer together, and more consistent its best to let your dr know. For most first time moms, labor and delivery can take awhile to progress but not always. My labors were 24 hrs, 9 hrs, 3 hrs, 8 hrs, and 7 hrs. You'll be fine mama! Trust me, you'll know when you're in labor!
Kmakksmom
by ~*Stefanie*~ on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:48 PM
I think they feel different to everyone. What is really painful to some feels like indigestion to others. When I would describe my contractions to others (mine were never really bad) others would stop me and tell their contraction stories about how horrible they were and that they never wish to do it again... :/
sanj1213
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:50 PM
They feel like menstrual cramps just more intense.
TigerofMu
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Harder than cramps, piercing pain, pressure

AbbeysMom2013
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:07 PM
to be honest I can't exactly remember lol
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Yes this ..

Quoting Azure:

It's a difficult thing for me to describe. I'm bumping so someone else with more eloquence on the issue can respond to you.

mcmlxxxv
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:16 PM
Yes, although I didn't feel the pain of the actual pushing, because of the epidural. Pushing was very straining... Imagine the type of effort you would put in if you were being encouraged to lift a car and knew you had to do it. It just takes a lot of constant strain, so you have to put your whole body into it. I had blurred vision for 2 days after giving birth because I strained my eyes while pushing! But over all, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared. After I got the epidural, I took a nap! It was helpful because I dilated faster then, because I wasn't so tense. I know there are some risks with an epidural, but it was totally worth it for me. Kudos to the women who have the option but choose to go without it -- they are much stronger than I!

Quoting amycole09: Thank you!! This actually makes me not so afraid of labor. I am not looking forward to the pain but at least knowing what is ahead of me helps me be prepared. Would you say the contractions are the worst part of child birth?

Quoting mcmlxxxv: They are separated, and in between them, you don't feel pain except maybe the residual dull ache, similar to light cramps. But the actual contraction lasts about a minute and appears like a mountain on the monitor. You begin to feel a tightening of your abdomen, as if you were doing a sit-up, except you aren't. Then it steadily increases over the next few seconds and becomes very painful. If you've ever gotten a "Charlie horse" in your calf, it's similar to that, but worse. Then it releases and the pain is gone within a few seconds, until the next contraction. At least, that's how it felt for me! Now the contractions I'm describing were about halfway through my labor. My earliest contractions didn't hurt at all and felt like the baby was just moving. And my contractions after the point I'm describing were painless because I got an epidural.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)