Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on ME - Sitting.. and waiting.

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:19 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am officially GBS negative, so there's ZERO reason to rush into a medicalized birth at the hospital once I'm in labor.

After much soul searching and talking to my husband, he's agreed to deliver the baby at a hotel with me across the street from the hospital. (He's looking into them now, to find one that's clean with a decent tub/shower and space with stuff for the kids to do. Between him, our doulas, and a friend to help with childcare, we should be able to keep them out of the way enough to labor peacefully...)

We've talked about how far we are comfortable with a hotel away from the hospital (10-15minutes max.) With his EMT training, that should give him the ability to get me to a hospital right away, if he has to drive me down the street, rather than trying to do all of this in the car driving up there, or whatever else.

I don't think I can give birth in a hospital room, attached to monitors. I have all the equipment the hospital uses, that would detect the *Same* problems they could, but are portable. Dopplers, blood pressure cuffs, temps. For a simple monitoring of a normal vaginal delivery, we have everything we need to monitor labor so I can be free to move around.

He is still kind of on the "fence" about going in while pushing, because once I feel the urge to push, it goes fast and baby's usually out in 2-3 pushes. LOL So, we might not make it to the hospital if we waited that long anyways, no matter where I am.

Our birth kit has everything we need for the delivery, including the clamps, and I'm adding a couple of other supplies tonight. (Latex-Free gloves, ultrasound gel for the doppler, a new thermometer, our portable blood pressure cuff, a notepad/pens to keep track of vitals and baby's heart rate.)

Since I can't have my homebirth the way I wanted, this seemed like the best way to have the best of both worlds. The hospital on stand by, a few minutes away, laboring the way I want, with the option of delivering right where I am, with the hospital aware that I'm "laboring" close by until it's closer to baby time to avoid being trapped in a room on wires.

Next week, she's going to strip my membranes and send me for acupuncture. We'll be getting a hotel overnight, to see if it works, it's got a 50/50 chance... if it doesn't work, we'll be discussing options after that.

(i.e. if she'll try again to strip my membranes and another acupuncture visit in a few days, etc etc.)

Also, baby is supposedly measuring between 5-6lbs, so if I go another week or two, she's about the same size as my last daughter. (roughly just over 7lbs.) And I think she's bigger than they think, because she was so smooshed down in there, wedged between my hips with everything smashed/squished against the uterine wall, they had a hard time getting an accurate measurement.

They said if i'm still pregnant in 2 weeks or so, they'll want another measurement.

by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixonBabies
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:34 AM
Have to find the back story to this but if you're willing to take the risk of something going wrong and accepting that, then it's your decision.
oliveoil423
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Do what you want. My son weighed 7lbs 11 oz at 37 weeks when he came.
luckyinlife
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I am so jealous of your unassisted birth! DH refuses every time, lol. Any day now!
Freckles85
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Every child birth has risk and chance things will go wrong!

Quoting DixonBabies: Have to find the back story to this but if you're willing to take the risk of something going wrong and accepting that, then it's your decision.
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM

I had a homebirth before, with a midwife a few years ago.

I live in a rural, middle of no where area, we've been prepared since my labors go so fast, that I'd deliver 100% unassisted no matter what, even if we WANTED to get somewhere.

However, I also cannot labor, or give birth in a medical environment easily.... so the compromise for safety, was being across the street from the hospital, and if I feel like pushing where I am instead of walking over last minute, then I'll just push where I am.

My midwife who delivered my daughter, almost didn't catch her because she came flying out so fast. I do a lot of early, prelabor work prior to the birth, then my labors go so fast, i'd be lucky to be checked in and put in a room before baby's born in the hallway or car anyways. 

I was planning on a homebirth again, but the midwife bailed on me, at 34 weeks pregnant, and I had to find a back up plan. I found a hospital who'd take me super late, but since they have a thing about monitoring, and don't have the kind you can be portable with, being stuck in a 3x3 foot section will make me miserable and I can't labor like that.

As to something going wrong, yes, I'm aware of risks. This is baby #5, and a vbac. I've had an induction, a homebirth, a c-section with twins, and now my vbac, and believe me, when none of the hospitals will do vbac's and you have to find one who will, you hear *non stop* all the reasons why doctors would prefer to cut you open, despite the AMA saying there's no logical reason to do so. LOL

I had to take a vbac class thingie with the local hospital when they agreed to take me on after 34+ weeks as one of their requirements to deliver me, so I got to sit there and listen to all the risks, and even have the dr tell me at one point that my death rate is higher with a repeat c-section.

EVERYTHING has risks. NO matter what path you take.

Sadly, if I am laboring in a hotel and walk in with something going wrong, i'd get faster care then if I was already there. (as experienced by an induction gone wrong, and I almost died because they didn't notice it because they assumed since it was in a hospital they'd have time to "React" - where-as if you walk in with a similar issue, they respond a lot faster.)

If you're going to die in less then 10 minutes, it doesn't really matter where you are.

Quoting DixonBabies: Have to find the back story to this but if you're willing to take the risk of something going wrong and accepting that, then it's your decision.

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM

I should mention, that my water breaks, and I tend to deliver in less then an hour, and we live 3 hours from any good hospitals.... so the odds of me delivering at home, or unassisted are pretty high... planning it this way, prepares everyone and gives us the best chance of a safe outcome. 

As a vbac, they can't induce, and I wouldn't likely consent to that anyways, since a vaginal delivery, with spontaneous labor is safest for everyone involved! :)

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

It really took a lot of soul searching, and I think since I Agreed to do it across the street *from* the hospital, that's finally what got him on board with the okay, plus seeing me cry for hours and hours and hours about the "hospital room" and being "trapped" made him feel so awful that he realized how important the mental aspect of labor and birth are too.

After having a traumatic experience with the c-section and being there first hand for it, I think he realizes that he'd much rather take an educated risk, then having long-term trauma on something that could potentially be avoidable too.

It's one of those things that he's had my entire pregnancy to accept could/might/would happen due to how far we live from any hospitals... and how fast my labors go.... he was just worried about being so far from a hospital in general and doing it... This makes HIM feel better... so he's able to support it.

Quoting luckyinlife: I am so jealous of your unassisted birth! DH refuses every time, lol. Any day now!

sapphirelibra
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:21 AM
You'll do just fine. I know you will (: And you look adorable, getting bigger every week!
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:39 AM

i think I Was bigger last week, but she dropped so low!!! :O

Quoting sapphirelibra: You'll do just fine. I know you will (: And you look adorable, getting bigger every week!

JadeHope
by Jade on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like you are well educated and we'll informed. Good luck, I hope your birth goes well and you have the experience you want!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)