Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epidural

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:18 PM
  • 51 Replies
I am thinking of not doing an Epidural. I have a long time to actually decide but right now I would much rather have Demerol. I have never had a baby so give me your thoughts.
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acclbentz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Idk about Demerol (I avoid it because my mother is allergic to it, and allergies to meds run strong in the family), but I did Nubain at 7cm with DS and DD2, and Stadol with DD1...the Nubain was more effective for me it seemed with DS. It wore down pretty fast with DD2, and I ended up having two doses of it after 6cm. I wouldn't recommend the Stadol at all...maybe it's because she was my first pregnancy/labor/delivery, but I didn't like the way the Stadol made me feel.

This'll be my fourth labor/delivery, and I'm considering doing the epidural, for a change of pace. After just having pain killers, and not really being 'coherent' through the final stages of labor and then pushing, it'd be nice to actually know what's going on and not be focusing on controling the pain. Lol. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

amycole09
by Holly on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:46 PM
Nubian is that more powerful than demerol? I don't feel comfortable with an epidural. How much pain did you feel with nubian?

Quoting acclbentz:

Idk about Demerol (I avoid it because my mother is allergic to it, and allergies to meds run strong in the family), but I did Nubain at 7cm with DS and DD2, and Stadol with DD1...the Nubain was more effective for me it seemed with DS. It wore down pretty fast with DD2, and I ended up having two doses of it after 6cm. I wouldn't recommend the Stadol at all...maybe it's because she was my first pregnancy/labor/delivery, but I didn't like the way the Stadol made me feel.This'll be my fourth labor/delivery, and I'm considering doing the epidural, for a change of pace. After just having pain killers, and not really being 'coherent' through the final stages of labor and then pushing, it'd be nice to actually know what's going on and not be focusing on controling the pain. Lol. 

Butterfly_xo
by Taylor Lynn on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:53 PM
I heard that it doesn't work for some people. I had fentanyl with my second and I had forgotten that it was ever given to me. Good luck!
amycole09
by Holly on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:56 PM
When you say you forgot do you mean it was that good lol

Quoting Butterfly_xo: I heard that it doesn't work for some people. I had fentanyl with my second and I had forgotten that it was ever given to me. Good luck!
Luke8212013
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:57 PM
If I could do over my labor and delivery with my first I would've never gotten the epidural.
I was doing ok without it, but i had decided I wanted the epidural. They had a hard time putting it in, it wore off several times, my progression slowed down and I ended up having a csection. They had to put in a spinal for the csection because I was not numbed enough with the epidural..it was rough.
Jess53920
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 4:58 PM
I tried using fetanyl at first but you have to keep your oxygen levels up for a certain percentage which I couldn't do because it made me so sleepy and it doesn't last long. I ended up going with the epidural and it worked well with me so I was finally able to have a nap before baby was ready.
Butterfly_xo
by Taylor Lynn on Mar. 30, 2016 at 5:01 PM
I wish!! It didn't work at all!! The Percocet I was given during early labor with my third honestly worked better than that! But everyone is different! It might work for you.

Quoting amycole09: When you say you forgot do you mean it was that good lol

Quoting Butterfly_xo: I heard that it doesn't work for some people. I had fentanyl with my second and I had forgotten that it was ever given to me. Good luck!
jamamama00
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 5:05 PM
I've had two naturally, one with epidural and one with Demerol. Demerol does nothing but fuck you up so that you are stupid and loopy and can't communicate or function. You do still feel pain and they will not redose you when the hard part comes so you will actually feel the worst part. But it's fun I guess....
amycole09
by Holly on Mar. 30, 2016 at 5:06 PM
Lol I laughed so hard reading this. Yeah you changed my mind on the demerol. So you could actually feel the baby coming out?

Quoting jamamama00: I've had two naturally, one with epidural and one with Demerol. Demerol does nothing but fuck you up so that you are stupid and loopy and can't communicate or function. You do still feel pain and they will not redose you when the hard part comes so you will actually feel the worst part. But it's fun I guess....
jamamama00
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 5:13 PM
Fuck yes!!! Felt like someone was holding a cigarette lighter to my vagina. Not cool. Plus when I was messed up I apparently kept telling the nurses that I needed to find the road to get to McDonalds. Then I passed out. But I remember thinking hey wait I can still feel pain. I was just too loopy to respond! I did a LOT of drugs in college and nothing compared to Demerol though.

Quoting amycole09: Lol I laughed so hard reading this. Yeah you changed my mind on the demerol. So you could actually feel the baby coming out?

Quoting jamamama00: I've had two naturally, one with epidural and one with Demerol. Demerol does nothing but fuck you up so that you are stupid and loopy and can't communicate or function. You do still feel pain and they will not redose you when the hard part comes so you will actually feel the worst part. But it's fun I guess....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)