Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gestational diabetes...

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 5:52 PM
  • 19 Replies

Did anyone have gestational diabetes if so did you have a big baby. I got measure at 29 weeks and they said baby at 3 pounds 12 ounces and now 33 weeks and 2 days little scary because on next week will get measure again for growth.

by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FireMoonGypsy
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Yes. I did not have it with my first though and both of my babies were 9lb5oz. 

Is this your first? Don't be scared; unless they are concerned with a small canal, small hips, or any other health concerns outside of a potentially large baby, don't be afraid of a larger baby just because of size. 

50% of ultrasounds are incorrect on measurements. They predicted a 12 lb baby with my second; they were 2 and a half pounds OFF. That's a lot. 

I had baby girl out in 3 pushes; other women have handled larger babies in that same way- and no worries, my lady bits went back to normal! 

You need to make the right decisions for you, but do not worry too much. My kids were perfectly healthy and they are now 3 and 7 and smart, active, vibrant things. I am pregnant with #3 and this one will likely be the biggest of all! 

*EDIT I did manage my sugars well with diet and remained within acceptable levels; I still ended up with a large baby. 

"The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth" - Lao Tzu

JadeHope
by Jade on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:00 PM
First of all, ultrasound measurements are notoriously inaccurate, and really not something a doctor should use to check on baby's health.

If you are diabetic and you don't manage your sugars well, you have a very real chance of having a large baby, anywhere from 8-10 lbs, or even more, though that is rare. If you manage your sugars well, you are unlikely to have an abnormally large baby, though it's still possible.

Women can and do have large babies vaginally. Your body is designed to give birth, and very, very rarely will a baby truly be too large to deliver vaginally. Baby may be in a less than optimal position, but with position changes and moving around by mom, baby usually will end up in the correct position for delivery, it may just take some time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loquaciousred
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:04 PM
With my first. Yes I did. He was 9lb1oz
princessto4
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 6:08 PM

before I had kids I was in double 0 now after 5 alive and 2 miscarry and prego now my hips are now in 9s lol. Mine biggest baby was 6.14 and a week early (induced) and my son came to the world at 34 weeks 5.1 on his own. I never had to do this growth sonogram before so us mom always worry about little things about our pregnancy. 

HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:48 PM

No, I haven't had GD.  I had big babies though.  My smallest was 7#4.4 and my largest was 8#15 (in between those weights I had 7#10, 7#15, and 8#3).

I hope everything turns out well for your LO! (hug)

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:29 PM
I've never had it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Azure
by Group Admin on Mar. 31, 2016 at 10:10 AM

What scares you about a big baby?

mama2b100808
by on Mar. 31, 2016 at 11:05 AM
No ma am never dealt with that. Hope you find your answers

Quoting princessto4:

Did anyone have gestational diabetes if so did you have a big baby. I got measure at 29 weeks and they said baby at 3 pounds 12 ounces and now 33 weeks and 2 days little scary because on next week will get measure again for growth.

yzaguirre1986
by Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 11:07 AM
Yes I did! But I deliver a healthy 8 pound and 11oz baby. I think it's a normal size. Don't worry too much! You be all right. Congratulations on your blessing!
j.patzer
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 11:20 AM

I Have pre exsisting diabetes since I was 11, I had my 29 week US on monday baby was 3 pounds 7 oz. My older child was born at 36 week 6 pounds 4oz 19 in long (babys dad and both grandfathers are over 6 feet tall).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)