Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who in here got the 10 week genetic/gender blood work before age 35 and how?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

My high risk OB is telling me that insurance wont cover it unless I'm 35. I'm high risk and have a son with birth defects. I thought it would be covered for sure. 

by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tina_a
by Christina on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:58 PM
My ob said the same unless I had a history of children with birth defects and I don't but in your case you would think they would cover it.
mcmlxxxv
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:08 PM
I got it, under 35 and not high risk. My OB said "Most insurances don't cover this unless you're over 35, but it's worth calling them to find out." I called, and it turns out it was covered! I had to ask the secretary for a "code" they use for billing, to make sure the insurance company would know exactly which test I meant. But definitely give your insurance company a call.
kre1189
by Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Yeah they asked me for the code today when I called, I have to call my OB tomorrow and find out what the code is. Thank you!

Quoting mcmlxxxv: I got it, under 35 and not high risk. My OB said "Most insurances don't cover this unless you're over 35, but it's worth calling them to find out." I called, and it turns out it was covered! I had to ask the secretary for a "code" they use for billing, to make sure the insurance company would know exactly which test I meant. But definitely give your insurance company a call.

NatyRod
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:51 PM
My OB does it as a routine study and it was covered both times by my insurance. (Expect for the gender with DS bc they didn't offer it at the time).

I'm under 35 and not high risk. It could depend on the insurance and/or my state.
mattiehatter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 2:10 AM
Mine covered because there is family history of Downs Syndrome. However, my doctor wouldn't tell me if he was a boy or girl. She did kinda confirm he was a boy when she called me slightly frantic because I was on progesterone to sustain my pregnancy through the first trimester saying I needed to discontinue use.
MBMBRN
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2016 at 7:07 PM

I'm 24, first pregnancy, mine was completely covered because my husband is a carrier for CF, and has lost his daughter when she was born with it. 

sjenkins8208
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2016 at 7:20 PM
I asked for it. We do have a history of genetic complications ado my insurance covered almost everything. We did the MaterniT21 and t was over $2700, all we paid was $200. We found out before 12 weeks we are having a boy
Tonysgurl05
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2016 at 7:29 PM
I had my done and I was 27. No kids with defects either. No problem with insurance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)