• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When can evening primrise oil be taken?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 2:24 AM
  • 14 Replies
I'd like to start off with a small dose orally and work my way up to eventually inserting it vaginally. Does anyone know when you should start taking it? I'll be 37 weeks Friday
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkiebabii
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:54 AM
You can start now.
LattesAndWine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:35 AM
What do you recommend to dosage

Quoting pinkiebabii: You can start now.
kajira
by Emma on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:34 AM

It depends on the person and situation. EPO is not recommended for anyone who's a vbac, it can thin the uterine scar.

Also, it won't make ANY difference for you, if you are already getting soft on your own.

http://vbacfacts.com/2012/11/13/evening-primrose-oil-dont-use-it-if-you-are-pregnant/

Also, the oral stuff doesn't work as much as insertion.. so don't bother taking it orally.. just insert capsules up by your cervix if you are going to use it.

But, studies have shown, that there may be more risks to using it, and very little real benefit.

Your body WILL go into labor when it's time. EPO won't necessarily facilitate it into going faster.

SillyLily417
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:46 AM
My midwife had me start at 37 weeks, starting day 1 at 1000 mg, then going up 1000 mg a day until I reached 9000mg of epo a day. then she had me take 9000mg of it a day until I delivered. Also talk to your provider about their take on the oil. I'm not sure if it helped me at all with my labor and birth (2day early labor, 6 hour active labor, 26 Mins pushing). The oil certainly did nothing bad, but I'm not confident it really did anything good either.
LattesAndWine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:50 AM

It's interesting how differnt people have different experiences with it.  I have 3 coworkers who swear by it and tell me to start taking it orally now and inserting it as I get closer to delivery.  Then I have a personal friend who said it did nothing for her.  

Quoting SillyLily417: My midwife had me start at 37 weeks, starting day 1 at 1000 mg, then going up 1000 mg a day until I reached 9000mg of epo a day. then she had me take 9000mg of it a day until I delivered. Also talk to your provider about their take on the oil. I'm not sure if it helped me at all with my labor and birth (2day early labor, 6 hour active labor, 26 Mins pushing). The oil certainly did nothing bad, but I'm not confident it really did anything good either.

kajira
by Emma on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:54 AM

My midwife(s) have actually recommended against it. They said that the new research is showing that it doesn't seem to have the benefits that people swear it does, and they've seen excessive bleeding, and even other complications associated with using it.

With no proof that it actually, helps.

http://trimestertalk.com/evening-primrose-oil-pregnancy-guide/   Here's a dosing guide, and a pretty laid out pros/cons list to taking it.

http://www.instituteofmidwifery.org/MSFinalProj.nsf/a9ee58d7a82396768525684f0056be8d/f44c26c0836acbb585256dd1006b2a22?OpenDocument   And a study, with it being laid out, pretty honestly, that it doesn't seem to actually make a difference for most healthy women. ;)

Of course, some women swear by it! LOL

Quoting SillyLily417: My midwife had me start at 37 weeks, starting day 1 at 1000 mg, then going up 1000 mg a day until I reached 9000mg of epo a day. then she had me take 9000mg of it a day until I delivered. Also talk to your provider about their take on the oil. I'm not sure if it helped me at all with my labor and birth (2day early labor, 6 hour active labor, 26 Mins pushing). The oil certainly did nothing bad, but I'm not confident it really did anything good either.

LattesAndWine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:01 AM

That is interesting....

Quoting kajira:

My midwife(s) have actually recommended against it. They said that the new research is showing that it doesn't seem to have the benefits that people swear it does, and they've seen excessive bleeding, and even other complications associated with using it.

With no proof that it actually, helps.

http://trimestertalk.com/evening-primrose-oil-pregnancy-guide/   Here's a dosing guide, and a pretty laid out pros/cons list to taking it.

http://www.instituteofmidwifery.org/MSFinalProj.nsf/a9ee58d7a82396768525684f0056be8d/f44c26c0836acbb585256dd1006b2a22?OpenDocument   And a study, with it being laid out, pretty honestly, that it doesn't seem to actually make a difference for most healthy women. ;)

Of course, some women swear by it! LOL

SillyLily417
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:48 AM
Yeah. It makes me wonder if the people who swear by it are just lucky people who would have had no easier time anyways. I guess inserting it vaginally is supposed to have the same effect as sperm on the cervix.. but then you might as well just have sex.

Quoting LattesAndWine:

It's interesting how differnt people have different experiences with it.  I have 3 coworkers who swear by it and tell me to start taking it orally now and inserting it as I get closer to delivery.  Then I have a personal friend who said it did nothing for her.  

kajira
by Emma on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:14 AM

sex is safer, it's less likely to cause excessive bleeding, hemmoraging, or thinning of uterine walls or parts of your uterus as a vbac that would put you at risk for rupture. (Not that everyones a vbac, but people forget that herbal stuff, are STILL medicine!)

Quoting SillyLily417: Yeah. It makes me wonder if the people who swear by it are just lucky people who would have had no easier time anyways. I guess inserting it vaginally is supposed to have the same effect as sperm on the cervix.. but then you might as well just have sex.
Quoting LattesAndWine:

SillyLily417
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Yup. That's what my husband and I did ( besides, it's more enjoyable than putting a capsule in your lady bits and having to worry about oil leaking). Luckily I had no bleeding issues from my large dose of epo. Not sure if I will take it during following pregnancies or not. Haven't had a chance to read your links yet haha. Trying to get used to this whole new sleeping while caring for a newborn thing :p ( got like 6 total hours of sleep in so far. Baby is wanting to nurse like every 1-2 hours it seems. So it's a sleep dance right now)

Quoting kajira:

sex is safer, it's less likely to cause excessive bleeding, hemmoraging, or thinning of uterine walls or parts of your uterus as a vbac that would put you at risk for rupture. (Not that everyones a vbac, but people forget that herbal stuff, are STILL medicine!)

Quoting SillyLily417: Yeah. It makes me wonder if the people who swear by it are just lucky people who would have had no easier time anyways. I guess inserting it vaginally is supposed to have the same effect as sperm on the cervix.. but then you might as well just have sex.

Quoting LattesAndWine:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)