• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having babies too close together

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:19 PM
  • 67 Replies
What do you think of this article where it says you should wait to conceive again in 18 months. Have you had complications of you didn't wait the reccomended time? What were they? How many times did you conceive before the reccomended time?

I did this twice, once at 8 months post pardum and once at 7 months pp.

Do you believe this theory or fact?

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/wellness/news/a32168/pregnancies-spaced-too-close/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/getting-pregnant/in-depth/family-planning/art-20044072

by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LattesAndWine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:21 PM
2 moms liked this
I always thought spacing children out had more to do with the psychology and bonding of the child and parent relationship.

We are only having one child but if I were to have more I'd look into how it could impact the child's psychological and social development.
12thMom
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't want them that close together, but power to anyone else!

NatyRod
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:42 PM
2 moms liked this
This!

Because of our work schedules it would have been a mad house trying to juggle 2 under 2.. Lol
We chose to give it a bit more time and now they will be 3 years appart exactly! Literally, the baby is due on DS bday (and due date).. 😁

P.S: I may also add that as 2 working parents DS almost stayed as a single child, but after much deliberation and fast sperms, we were pregnant the first cycle we went for it.
God probably said, "let me make it happen fast before these two change their mind".. 😜
Quoting LattesAndWine: I always thought spacing children out had more to do with the psychology and bonding of the child and parent relationship.

We are only having one child but if I were to have more I'd look into how it could impact the child's psychological and social development.
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Sep. 8, 2016 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
My last 5 have been about 18 months apart in age. I love the spacing. :)
sapphirelibra
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 12:59 AM
4 moms liked this
Our 3rd and 4th are the only ones that are spaced far apart. Conceived #2 when 1st was 8 months old. Conceived #3 when #2 was 14 months old. Our 3rd was 3yrs old when we conceived #4. Our 4th was 9 months when we conceived our 5th.
Haven't had problems and the kids all grow up together. I will miss having little kids and babies in the house. This little one is our last.
pinkiebabii
by Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 1:15 AM
Mine will be 4 1/2 years apart. I would not want two under two. I agree with a couple pp that it effects bonding when you have kids too close together.
Butterfly_xo
by Taylor Lynn on Sep. 8, 2016 at 1:34 AM
5 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

My kids are very close in age. DS & DS2 are 2 years apart. DS2 & DS3 are 14 months apart. DS3 and DD will be 16 months apart. She's our last.

I've experienced no complications. All were full term and healthy, granted DD is due at the end of next month but so far, all is well :) I prefer my kids to be close in age. I hate being pregnant so I honestly just wanted to get it over with. I love that they'll grow up together and experience a lot of things with each other. It can be hard at times and will admit that it's not for everyone but me and my husband make it work. I'm a SAHM and he works from home. We have a really good system going. I also love matching them ;) To each their own but there was no way I was going to wait years before having another child. Me and my brother are 8 years apart and not close siblings at all. My kids are very happy and they each have everything they need & want :)

I'll also add their birth weights.
DS 7lbs 11oz DS2 7lbs 14oz DS3 7lbs 15oz
I'm noticing a trend, they keep getting bigger lol 😄
Razzle_Dazzle1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 1:37 AM

I honestly don't know. I didn't start TTC again until my son was 2. He will be 3 when the babies are born.

scoopneck99
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 3:09 AM

I always heard its best between 18-60 months. Mine are 5years 4 months and 5 years and 3 months apart. For us it's been nice that each child has gotten the "baby" phase to them self before the next came along. That and financially so that I can work part time and not have 2 in daycare. I understand having them close together too, it's just not for me. Lol

eta. The article says pregnancy 5+ years apart can cause low birthweight, or small gestation babies. Lol

my oldest was 6lb 12oz one day early

my son was 9lb 3oz on his due date

the baby was 8lb 14oz one week early

Biene_Maja
by Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 4:33 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not a theory, it's a fact that having babies too close together can be detrimental. Pregnancy and childbirth are hard. It's advised to wait. That doesn't always happen. I have a 9 week old and am pregnant. It was not planned and I would not have done this intentionally. I'm healthy and have had no complications so I'm not very concerned, but I am aware that my risk for problems is increased.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)