Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over the counter prenatals vs. Prenatals that were prescribed

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:41 AM
  • 13 Replies

Mobile Photo

When I first found out I was pregnant the next day I went and bought prenatal vitamins because my first appointment wasn't until that next week. Long story short he prescribed me prenatal vitamins so I started taking those but they make my stomach hurt and I HATE the way they smell 😣 The over the counter vitamins I like more . What should I do ?
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sapphirelibra
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 12:03 PM
Take the ones you bought. They're the exact ones I've been using for years. If you want to use the ones your doctor prescribed, try taking them right before you go to sleep, that way you'll sleep through any sickness they might cause.

Congratulations!
newmelly2009
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 12:05 PM
My doc offered me prenatals from his office I declined as mine were better, even had more calcium. I take the same as yours but no dha, I was scarred of fish contamination. But these are good they have the usp label
-BluEydDvl-
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 4:06 PM
Take the ones you like better.

I took children's chewables (2 and a folic acid) because I can't swallow those giant pills and my OB never had a problem with it.
HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:34 PM

The OTC prenatals probably don't even have as much of what they do have or as many nutrients in them as regular OTC daily multis.

Also, DHA is derived from its source using hexane, which is a carcinigenic (sp) toxin, etc.

When my dr had Rx'd me Prenatals, I would have taken the Rx ones instead of the OTC ones.

Sarah725
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 10:06 PM

I would take the one's you like better.

browncoat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 12:40 AM
It doesn't really matter. There no prenatal vitamin that requires a prescription so they aren't any better, they just give you one because then insurance will cover it and you can get reimbursement with your HSA if you have one.
Mama8080
by Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 12:56 PM

I didn't even take prenatal I just took a woman's multi vitamin. Doc said it was just as good. Take what you like

NatyRod
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 1:01 PM
Most pregnancy prenatals have the same essentials your body needs... Just make sure it also has the DHA.
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Take the OTC ones and get extra folic acid to bump it up to what the rx one is at and don't worry. 

Cafe Steph
by on Oct. 24, 2016 at 8:37 AM

If you're really not sure, ask your doctor, but IMO, take the ones you bought since you like them more and they work just as well, if not better. I was prescribed some with my first but I couldn't handle the smell, let alone the side effects. My husband mentioned it to his boss and she recommended some that they carried which smelled like vanilla but had no taste. I showed them to my doc and he said those were totally fine, that the point was to get the things I needed, however that happened, prescription or not. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)