Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it OK to take a pregnancy test without telling my husband?

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 4:42 PM
  • 12 Replies

So I just don't really have a lot of friends to talk to. My husband is my best friend, my sister, my mom. But that's about it. My husband and I aren't trying to conceive... exactly. We both know I'm not on birth control (long story actually, but I didn't go off it so that we could conceive) yet we still have sex without contraception. We talk about having kids and we both want it, but we'd both also be ok with not having kids. I've told him that I think I'm ready, and he's not so sure. But we both agree kids are something you're probably never ready for exactly. We're sort of just seeing what happens, I guess. Which, even as I write this, seems irresponsible. But I'm 29, he's 34. And we've both put all our cards on the table, there's no tricks or schemes going on here. Just seeing what happens. 

Anyways... the long and short of it is I'm a week late, give or take, which is unusual. I've been very regular for the last 4 or 5 months since going off birth control. And obviously pregnancy could be a possibility. I was ovulating three weeks ago and my hormones were CRAZY and we got a little crazy together several times several days ina  row.. lol.  I mean, I'm probably not pregnant, Ive been traveling and my diet is crazy right now so that's probably why. But I'm late and I just want to know if it's because I'm pregnant, or if my cycle is just off.

So my question is: Is it weird or wrong that I want to just test by myself, without my husband? Assuming it's negative I don't even have to tell him... which I know sounds weird. He and I aren't secretive like that, we're best friends and we tell eachother everything. For some reason this just seems very private though. Of course if I am pregnant I'll tell him right away and hope he doesn't faint. 

So yea, I guess the question I'm asking is if it would be doing my husband wrong, or a disservice of some sort, to take the pregnancy test without even telling him? 

by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erricaindaclub
by Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 4:51 PM

I think it is ok. I have done it. Sometimes I think that we get ourselves hyped up and kinda hoping (even when not trying) then sharing it with DH builds it up more and if the test is negative you can end up let down. If you just take it and its negative then you just wait for your period and no (or less) hard feelings. 

NatyRod
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 5:29 PM
I don't see anything wrong with testing by yourself, unless he has expressed to you specifically that he would like to be present if you ever do.

The best of luck.
butterflycircle
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:03 PM

I think it is ok. I could never not tell my husband at some point though that I did test even if it was neg. Good luck!

sapphirelibra
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:38 PM
I see no harm testing without him.
Good luck! Let us know what you find out (:
luhna023
by Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok holy crap! There's one clear pink line and one lighter pink line. Holy crap. There are two lines! I honestly can't tell if I'm excited or panicking lol! Ok so I'm either going to retake it and then tell hubs, or just tell him and then retake it. Wow!
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:52 PM

No it's not wrong. I have taken tests without my hubby know. If it's was positive. I would tell him the results. 

windsun23
by Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:56 PM
Congrats!!:)

Quoting luhna023: Ok holy crap! There's one clear pink line and one lighter pink line. Holy crap. There are two lines! I honestly can't tell if I'm excited or panicking lol! Ok so I'm either going to retake it and then tell hubs, or just tell him and then retake it. Wow!
luhna023
by Member on Nov. 2, 2016 at 5:10 AM

Mobile Photo

Yep, I am pregnant! I told my husband and I'm so glad I did, I was so scared. He was shocked, but he held my hand and said he's happy. I'm sort of in shock.
Luke8212013
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2016 at 5:42 AM
Congratulations:)

Quoting luhna023:

Mobile Photo

Yep, I am pregnant! I told my husband and I'm so glad I did, I was so scared. He was shocked, but he held my hand and said he's happy. I'm sort of in shock.
Allysha18
by on Nov. 2, 2016 at 5:48 AM
No it's not wrong. I think it's preferable to not say anything until you know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)