Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gestational diabetes

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:47 PM
  • 10 Replies
Has anyone been diagnosed with this? If so what changes did u have to make? I'm 30wks and just been diagnosed. I'm at a loss. I'm very thin and don't eat alot of carbs.
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robibuni
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm on baby #4 and this is my fourth time having gestational diabetes.

Lots of protein helps. Eggs, meat, nuts...then lots of veggies. If you do eat carbs, complex carbs are best for you...brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc. Being thin has nothing to do with it. It's just a matter of the placenta and will go away once you deliver the baby, though you do stand a greater chance at developing type 2 later in life.

One of my favorite things to have is a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast taco on a carb friendly tortilla. You do need SOME carbs, so don't starve yourself of them.

If you have any questions, let me know!
RGPax
by Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Being thin and not eating many carbs has nothing to do with developing GD. I'm 5'0" and my starting weight was about 105 with my son, I was diagnosed with GD at 14 weeks with my son. We tried oral meds for about two weeks, but after that I was on insulin for the duration of the pregnancy. I also had severe hyperemesis, so it was a struggle to regulate my blood sugars at all. 

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 11:25 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vannah_Kaye
by Savannah on Nov. 13, 2016 at 3:57 AM
This is my 4th pregnancy and first time having gestational diabetes. I was super scared and shocked in the beginning but honestly it hasn't been so bad the finger pricks you barely feel and really you just need to eat healthier and like the others said high protien low carb works great. Make sure you keep a food journal and track what foods make your blood sugar levels go up and try to avoid them. My dietician said the only food she would tell me to not eat was cereal and sure enough when I did eat it my sugar levels went crazy high. Good luck =)
nikabear
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2016 at 4:16 AM
With my last pregnancy I had it and I just followed my diet. I also added more walking to my exercise schedule and I was fine........
Sarah725
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2016 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never had it but I believe you just watch your carbs and sugars.  GL!!

rosenbush
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2016 at 6:09 AM
I don't have it but I just quit my carb filled normal diet. I eat lots of healthy fat, protien, and veggie carbs. My blood sugar is amazing so I imagine I'd eat like this even if I had a problem.

My doctor did tell me that diet is the first change they make if you have it, have you spoke to a nutritionist yet?
catsisi
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2016 at 10:01 AM

I'm a type 1 diabetic. Weight and diet don't have too much do to with diabetes. You'll need to track your sugars, see if just diet adjustments and exercise will treat it, or if you'll need pills or insulin to control them. 

MistyMoo
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2016 at 11:36 AM
This was my exact experience with it lol fourth pregnancy, first time ever having it. Ohh lord, I had pancakes once and my sugars were high for two days 😬 I hope my glucose test comes back good and I'm cleared of it.

Quoting Vannah_Kaye: This is my 4th pregnancy and first time having gestational diabetes. I was super scared and shocked in the beginning but honestly it hasn't been so bad the finger pricks you barely feel and really you just need to eat healthier and like the others said high protien low carb works great. Make sure you keep a food journal and track what foods make your blood sugar levels go up and try to avoid them. My dietician said the only food she would tell me to not eat was cereal and sure enough when I did eat it my sugar levels went crazy high. Good luck =)
Azure
by Group Admin on Nov. 17, 2016 at 2:16 PM

I was going to recommend lots of protein as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)