Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

17 Astonishing Photos That Show the Beauty of Delayed Umbilical Cord Clamping

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2016 at 3:26 PM
  • 11 Replies

Whether it's deciding to have a natural birth, a home birth, or making like a Kardashian and turning your placenta into a mood-boosting snack, there are a ton of choices to make when it comes to the birthing process. One topic that has been the subject of much debate is baby's first precious moments, and whether or not parents and professionals in the US are clamping and cutting umbilical cords a little too soon. Well, according to new guidelines just released by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), the answer is yes -- we've been hasty in our cord cutting. Delayed cord clamping is officially the way to go, when and where possible. 

Delayed cord clamping -- the process of waiting to clamp and cut the umbilical cord for 30-60 seconds (and in some cases up to two minutes or longer) after birth -- has officially been endorsed by the ACOG.

The new guidelines, which have also been endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American College of Nurse–Midwiveswill be published in Obstetrics and Gynecology in January. The ACOG officially recommends "a delay in umbilical cord clamping in vigorous term and preterm infants for at least 30-60 seconds after birth," for a variety of health benefits.

Click through our slideshow to learn more about delayed cord clamping and the new ACOG recommendations, and to see some incredible birth photos that truly showcase the wonder and beauty of birth -- and the umbilical cord!

by on Dec. 28, 2016 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Azure
by Group Admin on Dec. 28, 2016 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's amazing. I only wish I'd known about it with my first two.

catsisi
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2016 at 6:35 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Precious333
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2016 at 7:53 PM
Nice! It's wonderful to see progress like this. Delayed cord clamping is so beneficial!
Lollypeg9896
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2016 at 9:28 PM
I only realized recently that this was not typical in the US. This is standard practice in many countries and WHO has recommended this since 2012. WHO recommends 1-3 minutes after birth before clamping, however it's most beneficial to wait 5-6 minutes to get a full transfusion back to baby. I'm going to ask for 5 minutes in my birth plan.
nikabear
by on Dec. 28, 2016 at 9:32 PM
We did it with my son and plan to do the same with this little one.......
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2016 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish this was not a slideshow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sapphirelibra
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2016 at 11:50 PM
My dr typically gives me about 5 minutes, unless, like with my 3rd, it's medically necessary to clamp and cut right away.
HunnyBabie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2017 at 9:53 PM

30-60 seconds is nothing!

I didn't know about delayed cord clamping/cutting with my first four, but with my last one, it took 20 min for the cord to stop pulsating.  Twenty minutes!!!

MikeysMom22
by on Jan. 7, 2017 at 12:11 AM

I had pre-eclampsia, the idea was to get him out and be on his own. I don't think still being attached to the placentia  for very long would would have been a very good idea at all. 

newmelly2009
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2017 at 11:04 AM
Same here I won't even open them, aggravating

Quoting kmqw229: I wish this was not a slideshow
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)