Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM of 3 or more

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:26 AM
  • 65 Replies

Hubby and I are expecting #2 in August. We are getting the 3 year Mirena then re-evaluating our financial standing. If we "can afford it" we are going for 2 more. I've seen quite a few Mommas on here with 3 or more kiddos. I'm just wondering how do you do it financially? One car? Work from home part time? Magic? We live in CA so things are spendy but I'm secretly hoping it's just a "you'll make it work" type of situation. 

by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlessedWithLife
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:40 AM
Good luck in CA. That place is expensive! We used to live in the bay area. We had 4 children at the time. My husband worked at Kaiser Permanente. We lived in Stockton for a time and my husband commuted an hour to work every day. After a couple years we found low income housing 5 minutes from his job so moved. That was hell. The company downsized his department so we were able to buy a house on acreage in MO with the settlement.
AMVBV2
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:45 AM

That's unfortunate that his department was downsized but I'm glad you were able to get something positive out of it! Yeah we lived in the bay a couple years and moved to the valley once we got pregnant. We rent a 1,200 sq foot house for $25 less a month than what we were paying on our 600 sq ft apartment in the bay. I loved in MO for 5 years, so beautiful! I know things will work out lol!

Quoting BlessedWithLife: Good luck in CA. That place is expensive! We used to live in the bay area. We had 4 children at the time. My husband worked at Kaiser Permanente. We lived in Stockton for a time and my husband commuted an hour to work every day. After a couple years we found low income housing 5 minutes from his job so moved. That was hell. The company downsized his department so we were able to buy a house on acreage in MO with the settlement.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not pregnant but I have 3 kids. Tbh it really has been a make it work thing for me. It helps that my husband's job promotes and gives pay raises quite regularly, so our finances have grown with our family. We have done one car in the past, we budget pretty tightly, we try our best to live below our means, sold things we don't need and I've worked when I had to. We kind of looked at it as "there's no better time than now" because his job is pretty dangerous and if we tried to wait for him to retire we'd be too old and worn out lol. It's worked. There's been hard times for sure though!

Good luck and congrats 😊
AMVBV2
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:02 AM
That's awesome, thank you so much.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro: I'm not pregnant but I have 3 kids. Tbh it really has been a make it work thing for me. It helps that my husband's job promotes and gives pay raises quite regularly, so our finances have grown with our family. We have done one car in the past, we budget pretty tightly, we try our best to live below our means, sold things we don't need and I've worked when I had to. We kind of looked at it as "there's no better time than now" because his job is pretty dangerous and if we tried to wait for him to retire we'd be too old and worn out lol. It's worked. There's been hard times for sure though!

Good luck and congrats 😊
Dashdashdash
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband is a millionaire.

But I just have 2 kids.

Lol.

I
Couldn't do it in cali
P3r50n_
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:19 AM
I'm California born and raised. I had 1 child in Ca, I owned my own business and was financially stable and lived comfortably next to the beach.... with that said, I couldn't imagine having another child. It's wayyyyyy to expensive to have more than one and live financially stable ( in my opinion). My son is now 14.

I moved to Texas 4 years ago and all that changed. Had 1 more and I'm pregnant again. We are financially comfortable here so I decided to expand my family after so many years. I'm stopping after this one though because of health reasons.

Good luck! I'm sure y'all will be ok. My sister has 3 kids and she's doing great in Ca ... but she and her husband are longshoremen.
Keda84
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:46 AM
I have 4 kids and pregnant with baby #5 been a SAHM for 9 years. We live in FL we have 2 cars. We live a comfortable life. My husband has a great job and with a good budget it works for us.
StaciF
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:01 AM
We have 6 and I stay home and homeschool. I'm a skin care consultant for Rodan + Fields just for a small side job from home but mostly it's budgeting and being intentional with our money. I know where every penny we ever spend goes and I keep spreadsheets to try and keep us on track. Cali is hard with high cost of living but our priority was a family so we make it work
Handsup4
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I have three kids. My husband and I own a business and do well financially. I feel that having three young children is stressful even with financial security. I can't imagine having to worry about money as well. I'd recommend stopping at two.
Sarah725
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Living in WI is a lot cheaper than CA for sure.  We both have a vehicle and I did work part time here and there when I could.  A lot of times it was only 5 hrs per week. You just watch what you spend.  There's no vacations or eating out.  But for me I don't care about those things, my children are worth it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)