• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When should I take a pregnancy test?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:38 AM
  • 12 Replies

Update: I know I keep making typos and putting July, but I mean January. Everytime I type on my phone it keeps putting July instead I used my computer to fix errors and it is so much easier I am sorry for those typos, but I mean what I say on here  and honeslty been freaking out. Advice from others is greatly aprechated.

I know I posted before, but just been extremely worried. My doctor thinks it is my ovarian cyst for giving me pregnancy like symptoms. I won't know till my appointment on February 9th. Anway since my last period was on December 17th and the assault happened for a bit with no full ejaculation due to pushing him off which happened on Janauary 1st so unsure if I was ovulating or not. To be on the safe side I took a genric brand of emergency contraception called Take Action on the same day after the situation.I understand precum is low but still I never know. After that I had cramps and PMS symptoms. The PMS symptoms were normal to me because I get them before I start my period so I thought "finally my period no more worrying" I already expected it to come. Instead I started to bleed on January14-January19 so I guess three days early at first I thought it was a regular period because it was heavy with intense cramps like I always get and finished six days as usual I just thought it was my period that came early.Although it was weird because it was heavy then off and on for the rest of the days. I then realized that the bleeding isn't your period it's called "withdrawl bleeding" or "breakthrough bleeding" so not sure if that bleeding was a sign meaning the EC worked. Anway now since EC messed with my cycle I do not know when I will start next month and having to wait for the actual period is very worrisome. I was already worried this month if I was going to start and when I did I was happy, but finding out it wasn't considered a period scares me. Anyway it's been three weeks since the situation. I have been getting nauseous, lower back pain, headaches, frequent urge to urniate (all though frequent urge to urinate has been that way since after July 1st) Again my doctor thinks it's my ovarian cyst, but I won't know till two more weeks with an OBGYN. So I wanted to know if I take a pregnancy test now which would be 25 days after intercourse (three weeks) would results be accurate I took many of them all were negative even 21 days after intercoure. I just do not want it to be too soon. I am extremely stressed and feel like what of I am making myself get an hysterical pregnancy due to the fear of getting pregnant.would a positive show up by now if I was or do I need to wait another month to test?

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Phoebe-
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, results should be accurate by about 14+ days after. 

Azure
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:31 AM

I'm REALLY sorry, but I'm having some trouble believing you when you mistakenly put July first in this post as well as the other...

Best of luck to you.

XStar15X
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Quoting Azure:

I'm REALLY sorry, but I'm having some trouble believing you when you mistakenly put July first in this post as well as the other...

Best of luck to you.

it was a typo it was supposed to say January 1st for sme reason each time I try to say Janauary my phone puts July but I went back and fixed it 

firebird78
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
If you are already having symptoms, it should show up on a test by now
XStar15X
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Quoting firebird78: If you are already having symptoms, it should show up on a test by now

yea I tested like multiple times it came out negative just things get confusing. After I took the EC and I bleed a week earlier then my expected period I assumed it was a period, since it lasted 6 days and was heavy with intense cramps for a couple of days than began to go lighter. Others say that if you bleed after EC it isn't a period it is called "withdrawal bleeding" and to expect my actual period next month. I really do not want to worry another month waiting. 

Another thing is that I do not know about how pregancy works like does it happen within the month you had intercourse for example, like me since it was in January do you start getting pregnant within this month? or does it happen the next month? I hear take a test 21 days after intercourse, is it 21 days after intercourse within this month January? or next month February?

This is why back when I was in high school I wished they had sex Ed because younger adults like me do not know much on this stuff and it isn't being taught at home. Not to mention parents are uncomfortable talking about it or just assume you are doing it if you ask. It is why I am confused and worried I know that being 21 I should know by now, but I never really knew about sexual assault like with consenting I understood Rape but not when it came to consenting and all that. 

firebird78
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:33 AM
If you had gotten pregnant after this incident it would've been with about a week
Sperm doesn't live much longer then that
So, if you ovulated at any point during that time, then there's a chance
Another scenario would be since you took that pill to get rid of a pregnancy, that could've been the cause of the bleeding
If that happened, that could explain why you haven't had a period since then

If I were you I'd go to a dollar store or Walmart and pick up some of those cheapie tests
Test like every other day

XStar15X
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:35 AM

Quoting -Phoebe-:

Yes, results should be accurate by about 14+ days after. 

yea still negative which is good it's just pregnancy is so confusing I do not understand. If it happened within the month you had intercourse like me in January and test  would it actually  show by now?  or not until  next month when waiting for your next period?

XStar15X
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:39 AM

Quoting firebird78: If you had gotten pregnant after this incident it would've been with about a week Sperm doesn't live much longer then that So, if you ovulated at any point during that time, then there's a chance Another scenario would be since you took that pill to get rid of a pregnancy, that could've been the cause of the bleeding If that happened, that could explain why you haven't had a period since then If I were you I'd go to a dollar store or Walmart and pick up some of those cheapie tests Test like every other day

Thank you helps a lot yea I have been testing since the incident all were negative now I just have to wait for next month peirod since EC messed up my cycle I do not know exactly when I will start, but I see the doctor in about a week I am sure I will be getting a pregancy test there too.

Just wanted to make sure on how pregnancy works if by now it would of shown if I was.

firebird78
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:45 AM
Yeah, I think it should've shown up by now too (positive result) if there was going to be one
Just take a few tests to make sure I guess
Or until your period does show up

Quoting XStar15X:

Quoting firebird78: If you had gotten pregnant after this incident it would've been with about a week
Sperm doesn't live much longer then that
So, if you ovulated at any point during that time, then there's a chance
Another scenario would be since you took that pill to get rid of a pregnancy, that could've been the cause of the bleeding
If that happened, that could explain why you haven't had a period since then

If I were you I'd go to a dollar store or Walmart and pick up some of those cheapie tests
Test like every other day

Thank you helps a lot yea I have been testing since the incident all were negative now I just have to wait for next month peirod since EC messed up my cycle I do not know exactly when I will start, but I see the doctor in about a week I am sure I will be getting a pregancy test there too.

Just wanted to make sure on how pregnancy works if by now it would of shown if I was.

XStar15X
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:51 AM

ok

Quoting firebird78: Yeah, I think it should've shown up by now too (positive result) if there was going to be one Just take a few tests to make sure I guess Or until your period does show up
Quoting XStar15X:

Quoting firebird78: If you had gotten pregnant after this incident it would've been with about a week Sperm doesn't live much longer then that So, if you ovulated at any point during that time, then there's a chance Another scenario would be since you took that pill to get rid of a pregnancy, that could've been the cause of the bleeding If that happened, that could explain why you haven't had a period since then If I were you I'd go to a dollar store or Walmart and pick up some of those cheapie tests Test like every other day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)